Db30 gas leak

tuck

Repositioned gas tank to top of bike and installed new carb. I dont have the air cleaner filter or cover installed, just the black body of the filter housing. Gas is leaking out of choke port into black air filter body. Why is this happening?? Have replaced all carb and air filter seals. Is it simply a matter of not having filter element and filter cover installed. Seems strange that fuel would leak into air filter when bike isnt running. Help!!

tuck

Thanks bikebudy. I will unscrew bowl on bottom of carb and take a look. Should obstruction be pretty apparent? If it is a sticky float, how do I fix it? The carb is new, only about 2 months old but it seems to be a fairly common problem.

tuck

Thank you for the replies. Is there anyway to spray cleaner into the db30 carb to clean without removing. I used gasket sealer on the seals, which I probably shouldnt, because I thought leak was coming from seals. It is a non hardening sealer so may come apart easily but would rather try to do on the bike vs removal--again. Can I remove bowl, check float and spray? Sorry for the newbie questions.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Yup, ya sure can.. Take off the bowl , let the float drop down a bit and spray the cleaner up into the jet and needle. it may get on the first shot.

Pinch OR shut off fuel line First..

tuck

Thank you!!! Will take off bowl, check float-probably stuck and spray into jet. Bike is running great, just leaking after shutting down. After turning off fuel valve, the fuel will drain out for awhile until bowl empties then stops. Figured the last thing wrong with it was the carb since it was basically new. You guys are great!!

tuck

Still leaking!!! Took off bowl and float Is working properly. Going to go with new carb. Any suggestions on a quality carb I can purchase for a 2.5 DB30 motor?

So should I take off the float and inspect the needle? Will a small spec of dirt clog the needle and cause the gas leak. I thought if float was moving up and down it should stop flow?? Thanks, sorry for all the questions

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
So should I take off the float and inspect the needle? Will a small spec of dirt clog the needle and cause the gas leak. I thought if float was moving up and down it should stop flow??

Questions are good, we all had to learn somehow.

Yes, a speck the size of pepper can keep that valve open.

I would take that carb off and look in the jet, check the needle too.

Thanks bikebudy. Purchased new carb and seals but before I install new I will take off old and check pin. You guys are great, thanks for the help. Will update with results.

Leak update

Thanks bikebudy and buckeye!!! Took bowl/float out and removed needle. Sure as s&@t, I found a small mount of debris in needle port. Excellent advise, I appreciate it. Still have new carb coming but now I have a spare and a little more knowledge of carburetors!!:thumbsup: