Decal removal for saving? How to!!

I have a decal on this gas tank I'm restoring and I would like to be able to peel it off without damaging it so I can get it replicated. Just trying to peel it doesn't work. Does anyone have any tricks to the trade or hints on how this can be done. Also who knows someone that is able to replicate decals from the original?

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
First of all, what kind of decal are you trying to take off?

Foil backed decals are easy to heat and peal. Clear decals, not so much.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Charger head tube decal I have done, ( In Aluminum ) a white decal would be new to me but, easy to do.

The Clear I could do as well but, have not done. I would need height of decal and of letters, Also length.

Are you able to do another charger head tube decal for me? That would be amazing if you could. What do you mean by in aluminum? If I can get the clear decal off would I be able to just send it to you. I feel that would be easiest.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
You can give it a try but, I don't think it will work, so take those measurements.

Aluminum is the look of the silver background called " Brushed Aluminum " I could do chrome as well.

Also take a photo of the other side of the tank, some have Left and right sides.

I will be sure to take the measurements and plenty of photos. Its the same on both sides they are not left and right decals they are duplicates. So you think the head decal is doable?

Awesome, you have no idea how excited I am I met someone that will be able to get these decals done I was worried I would never get them. I'm still deciding if I would rather have White or aluminum for the head decal I may have you make one of each if that's fine and see what each one looks like on the finished bike.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
No problem, shoot me an e-mail with left and right photos and measurements.

Do you feel that the " A & R " are blemished downward or is it a OE style to the letter?

Last edited:
You know James. If it were me and it was ok with Bikebudy, I would box that tank up and ship it to him..... It wont get anymore accurate than to have it in his hands. Just a thought.

USE RONSOL Lighter fluid.Decal will look a different shade when it gets wet but will dry the same as before you started.Only thing you will need is a new adhesive to re apply.This works by dissolving the original glue.I swear by it,works every time with patience though,needs to be saturated and carefully removed little by little.