Dedicated complete Doodle Bug Classic build, ground up performance and function

micky7c

Hellllloooooo OldMiniBikes Community!!
My name is Justin, I'm new to the site and I'm 16 years old. I live in Highlands Ranch, Colorado, where this thing is VERY not legal :laugh:
I paid $160 for the doodlebug originally from craigslist, with the stock 97cc and no brakes :thumbsup:
I thought maybe you guys would like to join me on my build!

So to start, I picked up this minibike and threw it into the back of the jeep:

Here's the first day I got it

IMG_1937.JPG IMG_1962.JPG

Next I brought my new doodlebug home, not knowing anything about it.
I rode the thing around town with my friends, and my first "Mod" was this yellow tool container than I drilled holes in and tied to the frame using rope to haul around all my extra Sh:censure:T !
Took it off a few days later because it was extremely loose and didn't work very well.
It was also around this time (1 week or so of owning ) that I figured out that this thing had NO torque, it wouldn't make it over a speed bump!

IMG_1966.JPG

Next I rebuilt the whole thing and cleaned everything up

IMG_2062.JPG IMG_2067.jpg

A couple weeks went by and I decided that I was tired of dealing with this Shi:censure:ty engine and fixing it all the time, and I knew some things had to change. I started with getting the engine and taking apart the bike to clean/sand/prime/sand/clean/prime/paint/clearcoat (I choose Rustoleum "Acid Green")

IMG_2117.JPG IMG_2118.jpg IMG_2142.JPG

Next I got the engine mounted (No adapter plate, I'm a teenager w/ no job, I can't afford that!) I am still young and dumb so I made a few holes that shouldnt have been there :hammer: but I figured it out and got it all mounted up and lined up with the clutch

IMG_2254.JPG

micky7c

I forgot to mention, I had brakes installed at this time as well.

Here I got the bike posted up! :laugh:

IMG_3220.jpg

And then this happened: The cop was cool though, let off with an unofficial warning hah!

IMG_3282.jpg

After that.. It was plenty fast for me.. at least for a few weeks it was! :laugh:
At this point I had some performance brewing in the back of my mind.... :scooter:

micky7c

Nice supreme hat! But ya need a helmet!! Ya head is more then a hat rack. Stay riding safe.
Thanks! That's cool you noticed! I collect Supreme. But yes, I agree with you! I'm currently trying to find a full face DOT approved helmet, but I want a more vintage look. Hopefully soon!

micky7c

Welcome.

She looks pretty good.
Watch those cops..

Yep, Gotta be careful.. My town has a heavy HOA so cops are all over these things.. :thumb down:
Anyways, Me and my friends are careful! (And being respectful to pedestrians and cops help too :thumbsup:

Hello again everybody!
Thought I'd update my progress,
for anyone new, I've got a old-style DB30 with a stage-2 upgraded predator 212, 55 tooth sprocket, & custom paint.
I have recently gone through 2 more sets of tires ( I ride this daily on paved roads and it tears through knobby tires quickly)
SO I have decided to make another purchase for the DB.
I have ordered a few things.. Speedometer, 2 of the 15x6x6 turf tires ( AKA some BIG ASS tires ;) and some hand guards (don't know if I'll like the look or not.. but they were extremely cheap so I'm deciding to try them)
Thanks all!

Heres photos of what I ordered.

Screen Shot 2015-11-15 at 11.36.46 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 10.38.51 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 10.38.57 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 10.39.02 PM.png