Do all small engines leak oil?

Except for my two year old mower, which has a small oil film on the deck and lower crankcase after a summers use,all my small engines need a pan kept under them or they'll leave oil spots on the floor.They also need a mineral spirits bath often. The two mini bikes leave a quarter size spot in a day or so.Is this typical?

jrzmac

Except for my two year old mower, which has a small oil film on the deck and lower crankcase after a summers use,all my small engines need a pan kept under them or they'll leave oil spots on the floor.They also need a mineral spirits bath often. The two mini bikes leave a quarter size spot in a day or so.Is this typical?
if you opened the crankcase, it's probly going to leak. even with a new gasket! same thing happened to me. you need to use permatex black gasket sealer. clean the block, and the sump cover real good. then a thin layer of sealer around the block. then put the gasket on the engine. then a thin layer on the cover. then put the cover back on the block! tighten it up and let it sit a day before putting in the oil. no more leaks!!!

45t

Only 1 out of my 6 engines leak oil, and go figure, the one that leaks is the only one that I took to a small engine repair shop to be serviced. :doah:

Currently own 10 small engines, not counting 2 strokes, NONE of them "leak" oil so as to actually drip oil, but most of them will get that oily, grimy build up on the block and around the base of the block, you know what I am talking about? What is that? Drives me nuts, especially when it gets in the cooling fins, my mowers run in the heat of summer, sometimes 7+ hrs/day, and I am frequently cleaning those fins to help them run cooler.