Doodlebug Questions!?!?

I'm getting a DB30 today from pepboys and was wondering if there was any problems that usually come up and also easy things i can do to make it faster?

Thanks!:thumbsup:

Find the throttle control screw under the air-cleaner. It's part of the linkage. Back that screw out or you will be owned by little kids on electric scooters. Dont expect alot of take-off power unless you put on a larger back sprocket. Otherwise the bike is well built. Use the search feature of this websight to see good articles and pictures on how to modify the bike. Make sure you oil the clutch bushing every 2 hours of riding time. Place 4 drops of sae 30 oil right behind the snap ring on the left side of the clutch where the drive-shaft meets the clutch housing. Dont get any oil inside the clutch. If you dont oil the clutch bushing periodically, you will burn it out and the bike will want to move at idle.
Also it will make terrible noises. There isnt much you can safely do to make it faster but other than get a larger rear sprocket or get a bigger engine. Have fun!:scooter:

JTsmks

If you weigh over 150lbs don't expect it to take off at all! My wife and son can ride his but there is no-way it will move me forward from a standing start (I'm 195lbs) My son's throttle stop screw is backed out and the thing flys with him on it (115lbs) but I wouldn't expect much from it off-road with out moving up in engine size or at least sprocket size. It's plenty "fast" just not very "quick" if you know what I mean.

Thanks alot! hehe...I heard something about replacing a certain spring on the doodlebug with a paperclip that will make it go much faster...any idea?

I do the warranty work for Baja in my area. The Doodlebug are pretty well built. The only problem I've had with them is in the prep at the point of sale.

When you get it tell the salesman that you want to ride it around the parking lot before you accept it. Pay attention to the throttle and brakes. When you get it home, LocTite every nut and bolt. Keep the bushing on the clutch lubed per the manual.

It'll be trouble free for the most part.

JTsmks

I insisted on a "crated" DB30 from pep-boys and they had one brought over from across town for me. The guy said that only managers put them together but I asked him if only managers watched them full time on the floor while people "jerked" around with them. He agreed and got me the crated one. The "paper clip" fix defults the governor from kicking back with excessive RPMs and will basically insure a short engine life (IMHO) the thing is plenty "fast" with just the stop screw backed out. (about 30ish MPH w/son on it)

I picked one up at Murrays auto parts here in Cleveland
They brought one out in a mangled box and it was leaking oil as it was stored in the wrong position (it did have this end up arrows)
Anyway they brought another from another store that was OK and I assembled it myself.
I backed off the limit screw and it seemed to help. It does have issues taking off up a moderate grade. I am about 170 lbs. As I write this I just finished removing stock sprocket to have a new 80t sprocket machined thanks to the help of forum member delray.
I also picked up a 6.5 from HF just in case. Not sure yet what I am going to do with it.
In general the Baja seems to be OK (so far)

get a 6.5 for it. you could also remove the limiter to get a bit more top end. some people are scared of doing it but i wouldn't worry. there are 6 minis between me and my friends without limiters. we ride the shit out of them and have never had a problem.

i bought used DB30 a week or so ago and it barely moves with me on it (i'm 275lbs) and the 2.8hp motor. it does seem to be pretty well built though and i like the rear disc.

at least it made my Cat with the 5.5 feel really fast.:laugh:

Last edited:
Im gunna have to wait till next summer to get a 6.5, Going on a trip on saturday and just bought the bike dont have time to get it shipped :thumbdown: Hmm?...Unless....Are these things good and fun on snow?! lol

I insisted on a "crated" DB30 from pep-boys and they had one brought over from across town for me. The guy said that only managers put them together but I asked him if only managers watched them full time on the floor while people "jerked" around with them. He agreed and got me the crated one. The "paper clip" fix defults the governor from kicking back with excessive RPMs and will basically insure a short engine life (IMHO) the thing is plenty "fast" with just the stop screw backed out. (about 30ish MPH w/son on it)
Lol, Thanks for that, I was just about to do the paperclip lol :001_tt2:

den35

Im gunna have to wait till next summer to get a 6.5, Going on a trip on saturday and just bought the bike dont have time to get it shipped :thumbdown: Hmm?...Unless....Are these things good and fun on snow?! lol
I know I'll be trying mine out in the powder this winter.Hope the 5.5hp isn't too powerful for snow.