Doodlebug won't stay running

I bought a baja doodlebug about a month ago and haven't had any problems until yesterday. It suddenly got very hard to start and when it does start, it will only idle for about 5 seconds and then shuts off. Any attempt to rev it during that 5 seconds results in it immediately shutting off. Since I know very little about small engine repair, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

check the carb , air filter somtimes the choke will stick take the carb off and spray carb cleaner in to it every little spot you can it could dirty in one of the jet holes . try it

Vaxian

Can of carb cleaner good as gold!

Get a can of carb cleaner with an extension tube, take out the carb adjustment screws and spray cleaner liberally inside until you see it coming out the inside of
the carb.

This usually does the trick 4 me.

Also, if you have a fuel line, cut and install an inline filter. This will help with future carb problems.

Good luck and happy puttering!!! :scooter:

Vaxian

i've had a bunch of random crap show up in my filter. i'm glad it didn't make it into the carb/engine.
Oh Yea, it's surprising the amount of crud that ends up in your tank, all it takes is one tiny piece to end up in the carb and :doah:

The most important things in my shop are my can of carb cleaner and a box of filters, they've both saved me a lot of frustration. :thumbsup:

One reason I dislike the carb/tank combos by B&S, no way to install a filter.

Don

Ours were doing the same thing. I tried everything and finally raised the idle speed just to the point that the bikes almost want to move on their own. That fixed them.

i just got my db on thursday ($150 could not have more than 5hrs on it:thumbsup:)it started rite up when i went to buy it. brought it home went to take it 4 a cruise now the :censure: wont even try to start. i tried to spray starter fluid in to it and nothing. ill try the taking the carb off next.

Thanks....I've been checking CL but the only DB I found in my area was a stock green one and the guy wanted $250. I found one about 2 hours away and the guy did an engine swap to a 5hp but it was sold already....I'll keep hunting.... :thumbsup:

My Doodlebug was having the same problem, after looking at the Honda troubleshooting site, (the engine is a Honda clone), I discovered there was an issue with Honda's vented fuel-cap. I started the engine with the cap off and it ran great so for a cheap, lazy quick fix I drilled a TINY hole in it, (not while it's attached to the gas tank), and it runs great, all day long and starts with the first pull every time.

My Doodlebug was having the same problem, after looking at the Honda troubleshooting site, (the engine is a Honda clone), I discovered there was an issue with Honda's vented fuel-cap. I started the engine with the cap off and it ran great so for a cheap, lazy quick fix I drilled a TINY hole in it, (not while it's attached to the gas tank), and it runs great, all day long and starts with the first pull every time.
Or you could do it the way some dirtbikes are vented - insert a length of vacuum hose into the hole you drilled and tuck it away somewhere safe. (pic 1)

You could use a shorter length and stick one of those vent pieces in the end.

Both of these procedures will prevent fuel from splashing out. (pic 2)