Drum brake help found from Azusa

I emailed Azusa about my drum brake frustration and received a speedy answer. The ol' brake dragging against the drum was my concern with my tri-star wheel with the drum brake kit. Seemed like the brake was hitting the bolt heads when rotated in either direction; hence the 1/3 travel within the drum (3 bolts).

Azusa resonded with, "You will need a spacer (1-1/4" long) between the backing plate and the wheel bearing to keep the brake from sliding into the drum."

Has everyone tried this? If I have a 1-1/4" spacer I will give this a try.

There should definitely be a spacer. Once you get that installed you'll most likely battle the brake pulse created from the drums extensive runout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How bad do your Azusa Tri-Star wheels wobble? The wobble will definitely effect (degrade) the braking. We had to shim our drum slightly to get the wobble out at one bolt location to get the brakes to work even halfway decent. Remember, Azusa brakes do not STOP you they only SLOW you down! LOL
Michael

trinik7597

I rode a bike with the tristars and drum setup built by a local guy .. I don't know how he did it and never asked but that thing would lock the wheel right up !! Surprised the sh#t out of me when I hit the brake going at a good clip ...lol

what Azusa rims and sprockets wobble?....i feel your pain......I tack weld a 5/8"x1" spacer to the back of the brake drum center it with a short 5/8" bolt.....toss the sprocket and use a precision tri star sprocket from the Taco mini bike guy save a ton of frustration this gets you close.....if this fails put the rim together with the sprocket and have a machinist put it on a lathe and true it.....The Azusa levers are junk go to your local motorcycle supply or check out emco.com part#428-62406 7/8" short lever or flanders motorcycle supply good for 1" stuff also.and Quality throttles also...get a good barnett cable that fits the lever
....chain issues are next use EK kart chain in 10' length from Comet karts