Dumb Kart Wheel question

I've been sitting on this really dumb questions for quite some time, trying to answer it myself with photos, ebay, etc. So here it goes.

Can I use one of those "hub adapters" so I can use my LeMans straight bearing (on a dead axle) wheels on a live-axle conversion?

Thanks in advance. :anon.sml:

need pics of the wheels dave

All like this. Split wheels. Uses the standard straight bearings like a mini bike with 5/8 axles. Rear driver has a sprocket assembly that directly bolts on to the mounting bolts of the wheel halves.

This is the kart. I have never liked how it came out. Drives fine, but I'd like to rebuild it, lighter, removable pan, move seat back, lengthen frame, live axle, disc brake, and millions of dollars on paint and chrome. :laugh:

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/more-than-two-wheels/75222-fox-special-project-4.html#post736261

Are you going to cut up the rear to add the live axle, or do you want to drive both wheels independently and add a second engine.

Here is a dead axle set-up that we run....

Last edited:
Are you going to cut up the rear to add the live axle, or do you want to drive both wheels independently and add a second engine.

come on guys! i need to stay away from these types of threads! seein things I think I want and dont know why I want them... lack of childhood :shrug: GEEZUS!

ok. carry on... im learning by reading these types of threads too...

Nice kart! :thumbsup: 65 Clintons?

Not sure on dead or live axle. I wanted to stay single engine, and with the WB 580, it's not actually smoking the tire. :) Live axle gives me brake options, because I do not like the scrubs. :shrug:

Before I go any further on the kart, I need to figure out what I'll do with that rear axle though, and if I can still use the LeMans wheels it's got on it.

sweet kart scooterboy.
a setup like that would work dave.2 engines are better than 1 :2guns:
i'm no expert but I think you'll have a tuff time trying to find something off the shelf for what your trying to do.maybe an axle turned down to 5/8 on the end with some sort of plate/hub keyed that would bolt to the rim :shrug:
would be easier to just put a stepped axle with a some cheapass Azusa's on it,but sure wouldn't be as cool as those rims

and yeah ted is like a walking encyclopedia when it comes to vintage karts.

sweet kart scooterboy.
a setup like that would work dave.2 engines are better than 1 :2guns:
i'm no expert but I think you'll have a tuff time trying to find something off the shelf for what your trying to do.maybe an axle turned down to 5/8 on the end with some sort of plate/hub keyed that would bolt to the rim :shrug:
would be easier to just put a stepped axle with a some cheapass Azusa's on it,but sure wouldn't be as cool as those rims

and yeah ted is like a walking encyclopedia when it comes to vintage karts.
:thumbsup: I was just looking at the inside half of those wheels, and there is the large bearing area sticking out. No adapter is going over that.

LOL, yeah, another WB 580. Those things are expensive, and I'd need another LeMans sprocket hub. I wonder if I could even find that. But at least then I could use two band brake setups and get rid of the scrub.

Thanks for the advice, Scooter as well. :thumbsup:

ok... '59 Blitz stub-axle. Originally had steel rear wheels that are on the cart below the kart. The rear wheels have tapered bearings(actually "front" wheels for karts). There was no adapter available. Spent a day adapting those. What you don't see in the picture(s) is the Webb mill with a 2-axis Proto-trak and the Hardinge lathe......

omg.......i just have one word to say......i been wanting to say it when dave first posted this thread...................................Cartwheel............:laugh::facepalm: