Dumb Scam

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Got an e-mail today telling me some " Insert Name Here " Unknown person to me.

Pay-Pal'ed me 3,768.00 . I laughed, said to myself ( Nice Try ) and hit the Delete button, :laugh:

I went to London and lost my wallet once. Then I emailed all my friends asking for money to be wired to London.
This never actually happened but the DB who hacked my email account sent messages to every one of my contacts, claiming I was in London. I found out when my Dad called me, asking me how London was (he knew it was fake) lol.

Last edited:
Got an e-mail today telling me some " Insert Name Here " Unknown person to me.

Pay-Pal'ed me 3,768.00 . I laughed, said to myself ( Nice Try ) and hit the Delete button, :laugh:
*******************************************************************************************

Just so I fully understand the above; You got an email from an unknown-to-you individual, saying they had Pay-Pal'ed you $3,768, and you just deleted the email, right?

By chance, did you check your PayPal account? Might it have actually happened? Could it have been an error on their part, and somebody else is waiting for payment so that they can send something to the original emailer?

Or am I missing something really obvious?

Roger

*******************************************************************************************

Just so I fully understand the above; You got an email from an unknown-to-you individual, saying they had Pay-Pal'ed you $3,768, and you just deleted the email, right?

By chance, did you check your PayPal account? Might it have actually happened? Could it have been an error on their part, and somebody else is waiting for payment so that they can send something to the original emailer?

Or am I missing something really obvious?

Roger
I'm assuming it is a phishing scam. You are supposed to click on the link in the email, and the site asks for your paypal login and password. Once they have your login and password they take all your moneys. :thumbsup:

I'm assuming it is a phishing scam. You are supposed to click on the link in the email, and the site asks for your paypal login and password. Once they have your login and password they take all your moneys. :thumbsup:
**********************************************************************************************

That's not an unreasonable assumption, but that info wasn't in the original post. In reality, no one has any idea what was in the email, as it got deleted as suspicious activity. It probably was, but I suggest it would be prudent for BikeBudy to check his PayPal account. I would say, "and not through a computer connection", but that's how one uses PayPal.
(I don't send financial account numbers through a computer connection for anything.)

Roger

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Ok, #1 the e-mail came to me in my " none Pay-Pal e-mail ", in fact I should not get a pay-pal or e-bay e-mail in that account of any sort.
( Red Flag right there )

but, yes I did check pay-pal but, knew not to click or check any link in the e-mail.

Ok, #1 the e-mail came to me in my " none Pay-Pal e-mail ", in fact I should not get a pay-pal or e-bay e-mail in that account of any sort.
( Red Flag right there )

but, yes I did check pay-pal but, knew not to click or check any link in the e-mail.

Yep, with those extra details disclosed, then you're right. Phishing scam. Too bad you don't have the time to "play" with them as some others do. String them along, make outrageouos requests for identification from them, etc., then drop them hard with a final, scathing, email.

Roger