dumb things you have done.

toomanytoys

I got the thinking today reading another site about some of the different chinese CT70 clones. I have one I picked up 6 years ago called a Wildfire 70. Just a regular cheap CT70 clone I paid 199.99 for it brand new at one of those dealerships.

It came in the crate, I had to put the tires on, bars on, hook the chain up, ect ect.

I got it together, threw in oil, gas got it started and let it warm up. I hopped on pulled the clutch in and pressed down on the shifter and took off. I promptly moved my foot under the shift and lifted up right into neutral, not finding second. I did this a dozen times. Cursing that I just wasted my money the stupid transmission is screwed up! I was walking around yelling and curse and my girlfriend(now wife) is looking at the side of the motor and by the gear shift is a sticker that shows the gears and she said it looks like you have to shift it down? And I'm like no no no that would be stupid! I got back on it, shifted into 1st, took off, pressed down again and there was 2nd, 3rd and 4th!

I couldn't believe it! I rode it maybe 20 miles, drained the gas, put it in the barn. I couldn't stand the shift pattern. I picked up a lifan 125cc with the right gear pattern and I've been riding the guts out of it again.

Neck

Growing up is optional
It would have been the same pattern if you had bought a real CT70!
Don't get me started on the stupid thing's I've done!!

Stupid things should be placed in a separate category. When I lived in Goldendale , Washington to pay the bills I had to wear a lot of hats and appliance repair was done because I needed MONEY to feed the family. I got a call for a washing machine repair out in the country and the home owner heated the single wide mobile home with wood and it had to be 85 degrees in there. I just knew I had to pull the washer out into the narrow hallway to get to the back of the machine . I unhooked the water and power and wrestled that beast out of the alcove and then I had to go through the homes back door to get to the back of the washer. So I proceeded to take out a bunch of screws and took off the back panel and found ( ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ) it happened to be a Speed Queen washer used in launder-mats nd all the pump and transmission were accessible from the front. :hammer::hammer::hammer:
I was cooking from the wood stove heat and the total amount of embarrassment, sweating like a pig. So back went the washer in the alcove and I pulled of the front panel and proceeded to diagnose the problem. And I would never in the next 5 years of appliance service there run into another Speed Queen washer to get even with.
Steve :scooter:

PS: Speed Queen washers used a fluid drive clutch that was belt driven for input from the motor to the transmission so the usually overloaded machines would not burn up belts. I always thought it would work on go karts designed with adjustable orifices inside to respond faster or slower.

Late 60's early 70's ....saved my snow shoveling/lawn mowing money up for about 6 months..went downtown to Kolker's Toy Store and bought a COX Shrike , a model streamliner powered by a gas engined rear prop. Very first run out I let it off the tether and it smashed head on into a curb shearing off the engine at the fuel tank. :doah::crying:
I washed the fuel off it, put it back in the box and nervously brought it back to Kolker's to try and tell them it "came that way".
The man behind the hobby counter took one look at it and said "c'mon son, tell me the truth...you broke it didn't you" ...with a shameful nod of my head I stared down at my shoes....the guy went into the back room and brought out a brand new one in the box and said "take better care of it this time." I couldn't believe it- told him I was sorry for lying and thanked him about a million times as I ran out the door.
It was one of those life's lessons that you never forget.

Last edited:
I'm maybe 14 years old and my friends and I find the door cracked open on one of those big cast aluminum boxes that house the controls for the traffic lights. Being the genius that I am, I figure out by watching it, which relay pulls in to change the light. I wait for the light to change green, the cars start to roll and I press in the relay to change it right back to red so the cars have to jam on the brakes. This goes on for several minutes and we're laughing our asses off. I'm trying to peek around the door to watch the cars and work the relay at the same time and BANG-ZOOM- I get zapped. Next thing I remember I was picking myself off the ground- it felt like somebody kicked me in the chest and my hand and arm were numb. Gained a lot of respect for electricity that day.....

Last edited:
A few years ago, I was paid to clean the gutters of a neighbor's house. I made the mistake of not wearing gloves. Needless to say I will never make that mistake again.

Stolen some thing(of value) in my younger years. I was too smart to get caught and to dumb to not do it in the first place. The gnawing guilt/fear of getting caught has cured me of ever trying it again.:scared:

Last edited:
Got behind the wheel of a car or truck drunk. Very lucky,never hurt anyone.
ive done that a few times. 1 new years eve me and my friends got all messed up at the bar, they decided to go back to my apartment while i stayed and drank more. i gave them my apt key and said dont lock me out. well about 2 hours later when the bar closed i walked home about 1 block away and of course i was locked out. so i banged and yelled and kicked a hole in the door but they were passed out. so i sat in my truck for a little bit and contemplated driving to my ex GFs house, which was the closest house i could think to drive to that was a few miles away over a bridge and into the next town. so it was about 2am and im piss drunk driving thru town, over the bridge, thru more neighborhoods. i got to her house, well her parents house and knocked on the door. her mom answered "what the hell are you doing here?" i explained my story and she let me sleep over. i woke up to my ex GF standing above me asking what the hell are you doing here. the moral of the story is DONT DRINK AND DRIVE. ive done it in the past and thank god no 1 got hurt. but my stupid things ive done list is very long:doah:

buckeye

I was about 12 thought I'd do my Dad a favor and change the plug wires on his 65 calente with 289. Just grabbed a handful of wires and started pulling. No idea how they went back and no book to look it up. He wasn't happy.