Dune Buggy - Go-Kart

My husband came across and awesome Go-Kart/Dune Buggy on Craigslist that we couldn't pass up. The frame is made by Yerf-Dog. It has a brand new 212cc Predator Engine that the guy purchased 1 week before we bought it. He said all it needed was a clutch... So my husband is not a car/motor/mechanical kind of guy, that's kind of my area. The guy said it was one bolt, no problem right...?

Well I had a friend tell me that I needed a 3/4" Clutch and I also found other messages pertaining to the "Predator 212" and I found the clutch that was recommended here on this forum. It is only $28 not bad at all. From looking at the engine, I can't imagine it is too hard of a job. I figured someone could probably point me in the direction of a good "How-to Site." Anyways our question is...is there a better clutch we can buy? What would it do for us, increase speed etc or maybe nothing? Would it be able to roast the tires in the grass? What kind of speed will I get out of it? It will be my husband and 8 yr old son driving and riding. I am just not sure so thought we would ask, seems like there are a lot of knowledgeable, helpful people here.

I have a few pictures I took that I hope will help with any questions I can't answer. Sorry that I don't know proper names for the parts so please bare with me I will try my best.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Heather

Last edited:
Hey Heather. Cool buy. The most popular clutch is Max Torque (least expensive). When I don't buy Max Torque, I buy Comet, and they are both very good. The amount of teeth on a clutch will effect the amount of speed vs. torque. The more teeth, the more torque. The less teeth, the more speed. If the clutch is going on a dune buggy, most likely you want more torque (more teeth). I'd probably go with a 13 tooth clutch. This clutch should work (if you are using #35 chain):

SS1334 - 13 teeth, #35 Chain, 3/4" Bore Max Torque Centrifugal Clutch | Go Kart & Mini Bike Parts | MFG Supply

This video should help for installing the clutch (found it on YouTube):

How to install a Centrifugal clutch - YouTube

Good luck!:thumbsup:

Thanks guys for the help. I really, really appreciate it. And thanks for finding the video too. So if there are more teeth than it will have more torque...that makes sense. Did the pictures show everything you need? I took a picture of the side of the box with all the specs too. Would that help some? So the part to the right of where the clutch goes is a torque converter? What will that do for us? The guy we bought it from did give me a belt with it that was brand new. Is this the belt you are talking about? If there is something you need me to measure just tell me what and I will do it right away.

Thank you again for the help, my husband and son will also be thanking you real soon too!

Heather

buckeye

You got the belt?? Cool

A torque converter gives you various gear ratios. Low nd torque and high end speed. :thumbsup:

you already have the sprockets and gear ratio in place so you dont need to worry about that. you will need a chain though. since you have the belt that will save you some cash hopefully its the right one. you need a Complete 3/4" Bore Max-Torque Driver Clutch . that video of a centrifical clutch is not what you need. the torque converter takes a special driver clutch designed for a belt. it varies its own ratio with speed and torque acting like an automatic transmission. A centrifical clutch is a whole different system with only one gear ratio. its much simpler but a torque converter works much better. unfortunately its also more expensive.

you already have the sprockets and gear ratio in place so you dont need to worry about that. you will need a chain though. since you have the belt that will save you some cash hopefully its the right one. you need a Complete 3/4" Bore Max-Torque Driver Clutch . that video of a centrifical clutch is not what you need. the torque converter takes a special driver clutch designed for a belt. it varies its own ratio with speed and torque acting like an automatic transmission. A centrifical clutch is a whole different system with only one gear ratio. its much simpler but a torque converter works much better. unfortunately its also more expensive.
Yeah, don't listen to me.:no: I did not notice you had a torque converter, completely different. Sorry :frown: I'm not all there :laugh:

oldfatguy

you will need to run the 30 series torque converter because the gokart is too big and heavy for a regular centrifugal clutch it will over heat. The 30 series driver and belt should be easy to find

Thanks so much for all your help. I am so glad I found this forum. I have a feeling I will be spending more time here over the next few weeks. The go-kart did also have a chain with it. So I guess my next question would be how do I make sure I have the correct chain? The guy we bought it from was a car/engine guy. He had a rebuilt Volkswagen Beetle and a full size Dune Buggy he was working on as well, so I am assuming the parts he gave me are correct. He said all he had was granddaughters and they weren't interested and that's why he was giving it up.

So the belt will run between the torque converter and the part that is on the outside of the clutch and the chain will run from the sprocket up to the clutch?? Am I starting to get it? In my mind everything you guys have told me so far does make sense to me, it's just putting in to work. I am quite confident I can do it without issue but I sure do appreciate all the help thus far. Also all the information on the sites you have directed me to for parts had really helped me understand also.

So thanks again for all the help and I am going to order the parts tomorrow. If I run into any problems or questions prior to that I will make sure to ask.

Heather

How do I determine what chain he gave me with the Kart? So judging by the pictures I took, I actually do have all the parts right now correct?? I was looking at everything since you all started explaining things and now I can see how everything fits together and hooks up. I see where the belt runs between the two parts (driver and converter w/spring) and then the chain runs from the sprocket to the converter with the spring as well, I can see the teeth on the backside of it.

How could I look at what I have and tell if the parts are any good? Is there a good tell tale sign? From the pictures I took, can you tell anything about the parts I currently have?

Also the belt that he gave me says 1". It fits within everything perfect, so it appears to be the right belt but I can see on the back of the torque converter where the chain was rubbing, so i am wondering if he had a 1" instead of a 3/4" and that was the problem. Like I said, since you guys have been helping me, it all makes sense now and I can see how it is supposed to go back together and how it will work.

Thanks yet again,
Heather