Duster M/X - JCPenney

Found a decent roller to build over the weekend.
Needs bars, fenders, front coil springs, and other parts.
It is something I can build though.
I'm a Cat fan so this is as close as I could find locally.

Looking for a set of Cat bars and fenders first right now.

Anyone else have this model Duster M/X?
Looking for what the decals looked liked originally.

I have just got done putting one of these back together. As far as parts goes, good luck. I have seen a couple sets of bars for sale but have been unable to snatch 'em up. Mine will just have to do until I can have 'em chromed or pc'd. Have not seen fenders around and believe me I have looked. I went with a kit from this site to get most parts, some worked some didn't.

Here she is barn fresh:

If you have any questions as far as what new parts will work, lemme know.
B

Here she is now, almost done:

Mine had a different sticker up front, it simply said Duster MX with some stripes that were repeated on the fenders. I wish I could have kept them but alas the rust had to go and so went the decals and beautiful copper/bronze paint. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Would you be able to post a pic of the small bracket just forward of tge rear axle?
I found a brake set but need to get my bracket right first.
It's bent and I havnt been able to find a good image to reference.

Not a prob. lemme get my act together, good bourbon last nite.

Ok. This is what it looks like at the frame:

And this is what it looks like on the other side of the brake bracket:

Kind of a tough bugger to get at. As you can see (I hope) it narrows down to fit the brake and then has a bit of a "T" to hold it in place. Let me know if you need more pics.

Last edited:
Thanks alot. I wanted to male sure it was right before paint.
Hopefully my NOS brake will be in this next week where I can mock it up.

Would you be able to post a pic of the small bracket just forward of tge rear axle?
I found a brake set but need to get my bracket right first.
It's bent and I havnt been able to find a good image to reference.
Is this the bracket you're looking to fab?

Here it is off the frame...

One more time. I believe that it's made from 1/8" Plate Steel.

cat

Bheezy, sweet bike. I have the same exact bike you redid. My parents bought mine used in 1979. I want to redo it again. Where did you get the fenders and front/rear springs? Thanks

Stingray: You might shoot him a PM. Sometimes users don't check back on older posts. If he can't help you, let me know. I have fenders, springs, and shocks for Duster M/X's.

The front springs came off ebay i think. 5 1/2" I believe. The rear shocks came off one of the parts sights. They were pretty cheap. The fenders are original, i just sanded and painted them (poorly I might add). gonna have them chromed over the winter. I have not seen any for sale.