Duster Tire Size? Second try

45t

I posted a while back that I wasn't sure of the rear tire size for the Penneys Duster, but I knew it was larger than the front. Someone posted that the rear size was a 5.30X4.50X6. So I purchase the needed tire and tube and it doesn't work, too big by just a hair (rubs/stuck on the brake):censure:. Did I buy the wrong tire, is there a different size? When purchasing the tire, they had two versions, the one I got and a sawtooth version. The one I purchased sorta looks like the original, so I thought that it would work, plus the sawtooth was wicked expensive for a tire.

any suggestions?:confused:

By the way I have a new 5.30x4.50X6 tube & tire for sale if anyone needs it.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

45t

I masked off the original but I still have my friend making a repo. I haven't decided what I going to do yet. But the original does look decent with the new paint. My friend is making a new decal for the bar behind the seat (sissy bar mount bracket?) and I'm having him create a decal for the kill switch plate (something that looks original but never existed).

45t

I was thinking about the sissy bar too. On my way hoem yesterday I passed a metal works shop that make decorative iron gates and fences (thier display was nice, so I know the can bend iron to any shape). I think I'm going to stop in and see if they make something. I just need a close up pic of an original Duster sissy bar with the measurements.

45t

I purchased a 145/70-6 tire. The tread isn't quite what I was looking for (a lil on the agressive side) but I took the measurements and it is 13" tall X 5"wide for a 6" rim, it should fit. The other tire I had was 14" tall and that was the problem with it rubbing.

I'll post pics of it when I get it mounted. I really don't like doing thing twice, especially mounting tires.

I posted the tire spec that was used by HPE/Muskin. I don't know who gave you the wrong size, but the size I posted is correct. I have a nice used one if you want it.
The problem I have ran into with the sissy bar is that the diameter of the radius is smaller than most and not alot of people have that specific die or whatever.

45t

I posted the tire spec that was used by HPE/Muskin. I don't know who gave you the wrong size, but the size I posted is correct. I have a nice used one if you want it.
The problem I have ran into with the sissy bar is that the diameter of the radius is smaller than most and not alot of people have that specific die or whatever.

The tire that I put on that didn't fit was a 14" diameter tire. What I think got me was the tire is crowned. If the tread was all one level across the tire it probably would have worked.

Can you post the used tire you have?

It was me who recommended the tire. The 5.30x4.50-6 is the closest (VERY close) commonly available tire size to the 4.00-6...that was originally on the bike. And what I always use in place of them. (You will see one on my Slingshot soon)
The outside diameter of the original is 14" so....:eek:ut:
45t....I'm very very sorry that the tire didn't work out...:sad:

It was me who recommended the tire. The 5.30x4.50-6 is the closest (VERY close) commonly available tire size to the 4.00-6...that was originally on the bike. And what I always use in place of them. (You will see one on my Slingshot soon)
30 lashes with a wet noodle for you...

The tire that I put on that didn't fit was a 14" diameter tire. What I think got me was the tire is crowned. If the tread was all one level across the tire it probably would have worked.

Can you post the used tire you have?
I will take a pic tonight and pm you for your email address and send it your way. I like the look of the originals compared to the others. My charge will be $15 plus shipping. If you can live with that, reply back and I will take the pics.

45t

No worries. What may work for some does not for others. I think most of us in this hobby have learned things through trial & error. It is the nature of the beast.