Electric Bike that is actually pretty Cool

pomfish

https://www.yahoo.com/news/radmini-electric-bike-foldable-affordable-just-plain-cool-143034115.html

This bike is nice and looks well built. You can tell they designed to be an electric bike rather than adapt a pedal bike to be electric.
Like the wide tires and 7 speeds.

Now, my question is, are these things legal without a plate,registration or insurance?
I know each state is different but to me it is a motorized machine and if it is legal why is my minibike not?

Those guys with the whizzer engines are skirting the law as well one would think. It's all cool as long as I can skirt too:)
Thoughts?

An electric two wheeled bicycle is not considered a "motor vehicle" in most states but they must be of the proper size and be peddled to be allowed on any street a commuter bicycle can. So the Go-ped type stuff will not pass but I see no reason that a bicycle that is peddled and the electric is an assist deal it would be restricted. My Brother rents bikes at Galveston Island Texas and they will not allow electric assist bikes for rent along the sea wall due to potential injuries but they are not banned from personal use, he initially bought some not knowing that so he sold em to get other bikes. I'd check regulations in your area if you are considering a purchase, it's a handsome bike and you know electric stuff can be quick as all get out. As far as the Whizzers go they can be peddled so they are essentially a moped, the difference being that the Whizzer is gas powered during the assist. I see no issues with it but I'd still check.

Last edited: