Electric start system/212 Predator

I dont have an electric start for my predator engine, nor would i add one. My predator starts 1st pull, everytime. But if you wanted to add one, it would be complicated because of the shaft size and room inside the chassis.

Neck

Growing up is optional
Carrol Stream sells 6.5 Clones with electric starting, but I don't know if they sell a retro fit kit.

Actually, there is a You tube video of a guy that did it to the predator and it works but I have read other threads about a tapered flywheel on a Predator so I want to check that out first. He used a Honda GX 200 start kit and explains what he had to do to trim the cover a tad etc. I just want an option to the pull cord which he retained.

Its an old thread, but ....ever make any progress Steve?

I'm considering adding electric start. kicked back the other day and nearly pulled my hand off.

My understanding is the guy from the youtube video mentioned above hammered the Honda flywheel (one with teeth for a starter) onto the shaft of the HF 212.

I have a billet flywheel now and no teeth. I'm curious if I could modify the stock round metal gizmo (the one that bolts to the flywheel and the stock recoil arms spin into as it turns)and weld on a ring gear to match a small off the shelf starter. Then I would have something for the solenoid to engage.

think that's viable?

Not sure if I should bother to mock one up....or just save the brain cells and figure out why it occasionally kicks back when starting.....

cxbra

Maybe you could sell one of those Predators and replace it with a electric start 6.5 clone.. It will save a lot of hassle and will probably save you a lot in the long run.

Its an old thread, but ....ever make any progress Steve?

I'm considering adding electric start. kicked back the other day and nearly pulled my hand off.

My understanding is the guy from the youtube video mentioned above hammered the Honda flywheel (one with teeth for a starter) onto the shaft of the HF 212.

I have a billet flywheel now and no teeth. I'm curious if I could modify the stock round metal gizmo (the one that bolts to the flywheel and the stock recoil arms spin into as it turns)and weld on a ring gear to match a small off the shelf starter. Then I would have something for the solenoid to engage.

think that's viable?

Not sure if I should bother to mock one up....or just save the brain cells and figure out why it occasionally kicks back when starting.....

I wouldn't bother. Just pull gently past TDC & yank the shit out of the cord. Works every time.

Same way I start my Harley or any bike with a kick start lever. Ever since then, no shin pains. :wink: