engine/carb identification

laine

i have an old speedway and i don't know much about it. from what my relatives (prev owners) have told me, the engine was fixed and the carb just needed cleaning. i've decided just to buy a new carb but i don't know what type of carb or engine it is. the numbers i've found on the carb itself are 40, 473 with a circle around it, 681 4B14. and the numbers on the pipe that go from the carb to the engine is 51 0 95.

The numbers on the top of the pull cover are what we need but it looks like either an HS40 or HS50.Take a pic of the intake port on the block without the intake manifold bolted on.Then we can positively identify your motor.

buckeye

Welcome to OldMiniBikes.
We almost neighbors.:thumbsup:

Why not rebuild the carb. It's pretty easy. :thumbsup:

this is the port that the exhaust and the carb bolt on to
As you can see its round so it definitely is a HS40 4hp Tecumseh. The 5HP comes to a point in the lower right hand corner of the port. People change pull covers all the time on these motors so its good to be certain. What are the numbers on top of the pull cover shroud? they will give you the year of the motor.

laine

no idea, there are no decals on the engine and i can't seem to find any numbers on the engine besides the ones on the carb.

Thats an early Hs40 they had a tag riveted to the pull cover, its not uncommon for that tag to be missing.I think the last year they had the tag was 73 so it could be that year or earlier:shrug:

markus

The correct carb for your bike and motor is a diaphragm carb. Speedway and others used them on the tilted motor plate bikes alot until they came up with the bright idea to simply make an angled intake for them once the tilt started to become pretty standard in the industry.

A bowl type works, but usually will give problems because of the angle. The diaphragm carbs work good, but do not like to cooperate with even the slightest debris, so you really need a squeaky clean tank to go along with it.

631588 I believe is the part number for the correct carb, although they are not available anymore new.

For replacement if you are thinking of just sticking with a bowl carb, I would search out a slanted intake for best results. last new replacement carb I had (bowl on a standard flat mount bike) had a plastic float in it. and could not be tweaked so I would look for at least a carb with a brass float in it if your stuck on leaving it like it is, so you can maybe tweak it to help with the angle.

Used slanted intakes for the HS float around $30-40 new is probably around 50 and there is someone that makes a wedge (although i do not know availability) that was in the 20 range I think.

jrzmac

theres a few aftermarket carbs out there you can try if you don't wanna spend 90.00 for an original one, or buy an old used one from somebody and not know what your getting? theres one by Oregon - Tecumseh Carburetor 632615 Fits H30 H35 | eBay and one by Stens. Carburetor for Tecumseh 631921 632284 631070A Fits Many H25 H30 H35 Engines | eBay I have the Oregon one and it works perfect. haven't tried the other one yet. $40.. is probly what your gonna need to spend. sometimes they go down to like 32.00 if you catch them on sale. also, if you cant find an angles intake manifold, there was a guy Hamlin57 that made these 20 degree aluminum wedges that go in between the carb and intake and level out the carb. I have one and it works fine! just don't know if he's even around anymore? heres what they look like, and good luck!

btw, do you have a pic of the whole bike? I would love to see what model it is! I have a bunch of pics of Speedways and brochures and stuff if you want to try and find out what model it is, and year???