Engine Honing

So I have 3-4 blocks around my garage that need to be honed. 3 that are aluminum and 1 that has a cast iron sleeve. I bought an engine hone off of ebay and it arrived today. It is one just like this

Amazon.com: Powerbuilt 648631 Disc Brake Cylinder Hone: Home Improvement

it says it comes with medium grit 220x4

Would this be ok to hone out aluminum blocks?? I have never honed an engine before but I have dont just about everything else and figured its about time I learn.

I have made several posts about different engines and so if anyone is wondering I have about 10 briggs engines in my garage lol!!

I just did one this morning used a lathe but do oil the bore during and after and if aluminum you have to real careful not to remove the coating

65ShelbyClone

What coating? These utility engines don't have plated cylinders. Using some kind of oil is mandatory for getting a consistent finish. It keeps the stones from loading up and they last longer.

oldfatguy

with aluminum you just want to do very little just enough to take the glaze or shiny coat of the cylinder wall and smooth up the scratches or score marks. And definitely use plenty of oil. automatic trans fluid works well. you can also dip the cutting stones in oil too. Make sure to scrub and wash the cylinder and block very well to get out all the grit out of it. You can use soap and water if you want to

http://www.perr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5608&sid=db285b1007182b297078d70995fd8064

Last edited:
with aluminum you just want to do very little just enough to take the glaze or shiny coat of the cylinder wall and smooth up the scratches or score marks. And definitely use plenty of oil. automatic trans fluid works well. you can also dip the cutting stones in oil too. Make sure to scrub and wash the cylinder and block very well to get out all the grit out of it. You can use soap and water if you want to

Small Engine Technical Forum :: View topic - Hone Aluminum cylinder bores Y/N?
If it's going to sit awhile after washing...... Put some oil on the cylinder.

that hone that you have may have either aluminum stones or stones for steel.they are different.
don't try to make the bore larger with that deglazer.it won't be straight when your done.[especially if you never did it before].
i use a sunnen hone for all my honing operations, for boring i use an ezbore.
the ez bore is used with wd40. the hone i use a mix of mineral spirits,trans fluid and 30w oil.
go slow with the hone speed,and fast with the up and down motion until you get the hang of it.makes for a nicer finish.