Engine Identification

Jamie1972

Hello,
I am new to the OldMiniBikes and just picked up this nice 72 Rupp for a very,very good price. I don't know much about Rupps except i had one when i was a kid. This motor looks different than the Tecs. Any idea what make and hp this thing is??
Thanks

Last edited:

jrzmac

Yeah really, as long as it runs good, who cares. I mean, it doesn't look like it would take much to restore it to it's original state! all it really needs is a chrome front fender, original throttle and grips. the gas tank decals, and the original paint scheme which is only the rear fender and the tank! wouldn't take much, except for the Tec HS40, and exhaust. which would NOT be cheap. Hey if you got it, spend it! If it were me, I would just leave it the way it is, I think it looks cool. and if it doesn't run right, I would look for a 4 horse tecumseh to replace the briggs.

Jamie1972

Thanks for all your help! Engine dos run, has good spark and compression. (decisions,decisions:doah:

Any shows coming up this year in PA?

I was wondering how well your briggs ran on the slanted motor mount. The flojet carb shown usually needs to be level to work right. I wonder if the float level can be changed to work at this angle.

Jamie1972

I was wondering how well your briggs ran on the slanted motor mount. The flojet carb shown usually needs to be level to work right. I wonder if the float level can be changed to work at this angle.
The engine actually has an intake manifold that comes straight out the then 90* straight down to the carb that's side mounted on the intake.

The engine actually has an intake manifold that comes straight out the then 90* straight down to the carb that's side mounted on the intake.

Yes. It is parallel to the engine, and in theory, shouldn't work. The float valve should bind at that angle, at least in theory. My thought is that it is not original to that bike, but I am not an expert on what is or isn't stock on any particular bike.