Ever get a new live axle and find its not straight?

hoppy

Anyone ever purchase a live axle to find its not straight?

I noticed a "wobble" in my axle today during some test fitting. Keep in mind this axle came out of the box(back in june) and went into a closet and thats where its been since this weekend. Took the axle out.....lay it on the ground and give it a roll.....it bent. Lay it on flat table and if you get the axle on the right side one there is a 1/8"+ gap at the ends even though the middle is touching. Ive emailed the company i bought it from and im hoping they will let me exchange it but since this is going back some time now im not sure i will have any recourse. Id hate to spill the beans on the company i bought it from but im not going to take a chance on a second one with them if they tell me i cant return this one. Why would I take that chance?

anyone know a GOOD live axle company?

hoppy

ok well just got my answer. They are not willing to take it back. Asked if i ordered a new one that it would be guarunteed to be straight and never got an answer to that. I usually dont throw companys under the bus but i think it couls save another from buying a junk axle in the future. This one came from BMI Karts. 1" x 40" live axle. Shame on me for not checking it then. Lesson learned.

That is disappointing to hear from BMI and of course you know that it's about a 98% chance that they did not make that axle. So when a warranty is written or just taken for granite. how far back dose BMI have to go to recover their loss.
The worst part is bad publicity spreads quickly. The parts touch a lot of hands along the way from the machinist to the different shippers involved. Did you check this axle against a more precise guide than the ground or table ? Just some things can't be checked every step of the way and I don't think BMI would ever sell a bent axle on purpose. I have been on both sides of the counter all my working life and have always tried to play fair.
Steve :scooter:

zeeman

Hoppy, thanks for the heads up. I am about to purchase a dead axle, and BMI has one similar to what I need, but it's too long. It sure looks like they would work with you in order to keep their reputation, which I thought was pretty good. There does not seem to be a whole lot of places to order go kart stuff. Keep us posted on what happens. Good luck.

hoppy

I just want to be clear that im not blaming BMI karts for the bent axle. They probably do not even make it. I understand its been some time since i bought it but thought they may be willing to work with me. Im not a shady character that tries to take advantage of situtaions like this. I opened it from the box....it went in a closet....and months later took it out and then this was discovered. Sadly they just lost my business and i wont be buying from them again. The axle doesnt have a knick, scrathc or spot of dirt on it. Just scrap metal now i suppose.

zeeman......all this being said if you do buy from them inspect that axle as soon as you get it so you dont end up in my shoes. Or just buy one from another source.

hoppy

good call banjo!!!!! I just called our steel guy that does some fab work for us. Explained the situation to him. He said exactly what you said....he thinks it should not be a problem to straighten in a press. So...........i will be dropping it to him tommorrow and hope he can fix it. If not then whats another $40 down the drain??!!

Hoppy : For years ( about 12 ) I used American Power Sports - Karting Parts & Accessories and they sell a lot of the products for racing as well as off road Karting parts. I don't know if our own OldMiniBikes.com could not supply most of your parts as they are an Azusa dealer.
I always buy the flex proof axles because of the off road use. I would just ask Viki if they can have parts for Karts in their inventory or an on the order basis.
Steve :scooter:

.......sell your "live" axle to Zeeman for his "dead" axle....little bend won't matter :rolleyes:

you should see the kart guys frantically trying to strighten an axle in between heats at the track when they don't have time to install a new one or don't have one......:doah:

course these are big 50mm tube axles, but they just smash away at it with a giant "dead-blow" hammer until it runs true again :laugh:

sometimes they get them back to perfect again.....for a while.

Last edited:

zeeman

I'm afraid my axle is dead in more than one way. It has a big crack in it, and has almost broken through. I guess it could be made to work though since just the mounting points for the wheels have to be true. Who cares what all that tube stuff in between the threads looks like, right?

yes aslong as your threads are good you are all set my friend!!! dont mind the cracks. :blink: All kidding aside fellas thanks for the insite on my "little" issue. Good news is i have 4 months to figure it out but i need it back asap so i can proceed with the rest of the setup. Actually going to drop off to the guy tomorrow to see if he can work his magic. Speaking of this guy.........interesting fellow named stace. Everybody should know someone like this. If it has to do with metal and or welding/fabricating this is the type of guy you go and see. We have been doing business with him for 20+ years. Trully a metal "Artist". Wish i had 1/8th his talents. Thanks again fellas!:thumbsup: