FedEx Charged me more after the package was delivered

capguncowboy

As some of you may know, I recently shipped out my Rupp frame to have it powder coated. Since price was a huge factor in the decision to send it out vs drive it across town and drop it off, I decided to go with FedEx instead of USPS or UPS.

Last monday, I paid $41 to ship my frame from East Tennessee to Central Texas. Today (over a week since I bought my shipping label), I noticed a charge on my credit card from Fedex totalling $52, not the $41 I paid. It wasn't over weight -- I added 3 pounds to the weight when I printed the label. The dimensions were correct because I checked them twice. The tracking info has the same info on it as my label did, which means it wasn't corrected.

I called FedEx and no one could tell me exactly why it was more than agreed. I spoke with 3 separate people and they kept passing me around. I'm a pretty patient guy, but by the end of the phone call, I was boiling mad. I'm not even mad about the money -- I'm angry that they can't tell me why it was more. The last guy I spoke refused to answer any questions and kept talking over me, repeating the same line over and over again. When I asked for his supervisor, he told me to have a good day and hung up.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue? Did you get it resolved? Did you get an answer? Would I be justified in disputing the charge with my credit card?

UPS does EXACTLY the same thing to me when I print the shipping labels at home than drop off the package at say the UPS store and I always add a bit of weight as you did but when I get my bill it is way more than it started out being. NO MORE.

Now I go stand in line and make them do it and pay them and feel like I am getting screwed but they can't come back at me later- for more $$

Thats how they stay in business. A little here a little there. maybe 1 in 100 will complain and nothing comes of it. Sorry to hear that happen to you.

capguncowboy

I'm just going to use USPS from now on. I've shipped at least ten bikes through them and never had an issue.

Now that you mention it, i vaguely remember UPS doing something similar a few months back

CarPlayLB

I wholesale products for a living. We see that with both FedEx and UPS. They are in the habit of adding on charges! Adds tremendously to their bottom line! they always seem to want to ding us on "residential fees". Our bulldog accountant gets after them! I have been using FedEx for bigger items, but I take them to the FedEx/Kinkos to ship. No mistakes that way!
For shipping high value items, USPS sucks! their tracking is the worst. Start point and end point is all they give. You are not able to see the progress. Took the 2 weeks to Priority ship and item from Central California to SoCal. You can try and call, but the hold time was 23 minutes!

capguncowboy

What is the average price on shipping a bike via USPS? any weight or dimension limits?
There are a lot of varying factors. A basic sized bike, like a 69 Rupp roller, would run about $45-50 from East TN to about anywhere on the east coast (normally 34x19x14 and 35-40 pounds) and about $75-85 to the west coast. Fedex and UPS are normally within the price range, but if they're going to charge more after it's delivered, it's not even close

capguncowboy

And the size limits are based on the overall length of the package plus the girth. It has to be under 108 inches. I've never had an issue making size. I think the weight limit is 75 lbs

I had a $5.00 difference on a frame at the store at 12:00 when I went in for a quote to 5:00 when I took to ship it. They told me it was due to the amount that shipped that day :confused: Makes it hard to get a quote that way.

capguncowboy

holy crap, how can they expect that be acceptable?
No clue. I spent another 30 minutes on the phone today. They still couldn't give me a reason. I ended up disputing the difference with my credit card.

I double checked the online checkout process, and there isn't a notice that the amount is subject to change or anything. If they overcharge half of their customers by 25%, and take a million packages a day.... Just makes to start to think

Since January 1st both UPS and FedEx are now using a dimensional weight :doah: and it doesn't show up in there shipping weight cost, say you ship a 2lb box and the shipping cost is $5.00 now if that box is 18x14x14 then they feel the box should weigh 10lb and up charge the sender the difference :eek:ut: At work we have a list of all the boxes we use and what they want them to weigh and we have to manually put in the weight they think it should weigh so our customer gets charged the right amount if we don't the we get the up charge and cant recharge the customer :doah:

capguncowboy

Since January 1st both UPS and FedEx are now using a dimensional weight :doah: and it doesn't show up in there shipping weight cost, say you ship a 2lb box and the shipping cost is $5.00 now if that box is 18x14x14 then they feel the box should weigh 10lb and up charge the sender the difference :eek:ut: At work we have a list of all the boxes we use and what they want them to weigh and we have to manually put in the weight they think it should weigh so our customer gets charged the right amount if we don't the we get the up charge and cant recharge the customer :doah:
When I purchased the label on their site, I entered the dimensions of the package. If they wanted to charge it as a dimensional weight, they should have done so when I purchased it, not after it was delivered. Their system is screwed up and they should fix it, not charge customers extra after the fact.

I shipped a seat to Florida fedex and printed the label on line. When I took it to Office Max to drop it off, they checked the package and said I owed 5.00 more.:eek:ut: I asked for what? They told me it was a fuel sur charge. What a rip-off.

capguncowboy

I shipped a seat to Florida fedex and printed the label on line. When I took it to Office Max to drop it off, they checked the package and said I owed 5.00 more.:eek:ut: I asked for what? They told me it was a fuel sur charge. What a rip-off.
I think I'm just going to avoid them in the future. USPS has never charged me after the fact and they don't hide fees in their prices either. Problem solved.

I've recently had a run in with UPS and their new weigh/girth pricing. To make a long story short, I weighed the package and measured the package then brought it to UPS and ended up paying exactly what I expected to pay to ship the box. One week later UPS billed me an additional $40.00 shipping/fine for supposedly falsifying the box size. UPS crushed the box so badly, that it far exceeded the original dimensions, consequently they charged me for the size of the crushed box. As a result, I no longer ship UPS and I have asked all my vendors to please use an alternative shipper when shipping product to my business.