First Project Western Flyer

First post, first mini-bike project..

My son (11) and I have been lurking for almost a year and finally found a couple of projects. The first is an Western Flyer and the second is a clinton powered minibike.

We bought them for $120 total. The Western was almost complete, the clinton is complete, but the motor is stuck. Hopefully we can salvage it.

We started the western flyer first. The frame has been sand blasted and is ready to be painted. I have started on the engine, but need a little help.

I don't know what kind of engine is in it. There is not anything on it that identify it as Tecumseh or Briggs. The tin is in good shape, but has been sanded and painted in the past.

The Tag on the motor gives a warning and has sn 0545346. No model number.

I think it's Tecumseh, but it's missing the carb, intake, and gas tank.

If you could help with Identifying the engine and offer suggestions on what to do with it, I would appreciate it. We like how small the motor is.

I have a briggs 5HP motor from a powerhead that was going to replace the motor with, but it's much wider and larger, so my 11 year old son doesn't like it as much.

Last edited:
That's what I thought. I have been looking on ebay and haven't seen too much by way of the HS35 or HS45. I may not know the names/best searches for the correct parts.

Is it possible to get a rebuild kit for it? Should bother with this motor? It's missing the carb, manifold. The coil and such are still there.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

delray

wow silver tecumseh, you don't see alot them anymore. must be a early 70's motor. only couple minibike companys use the silver paint engines. for example yours was built buy mtd and all of there bikes use silver,mtd,western flyer,columbia.......:scooter:
it's kind of hard to tell from your pictures? it looks like the exhaust is on the left? that would make it a 3hp or 3.5hp motor. my guest it would be a 3.5 hp,because all western flyers i have seen came with a 3.5hp motors and from looking at that engine it is a true minibike engine with that type of throttle cable set up. probable the original engine that came with bike:thumbsup:so if you want to keep it original? don't junk it.................:scooter: