Flexo Big Bear Super Scrambler

I recently acquired this roller from a member here. He can chime in if he wants. :thumbsup: I'd been looking for one of these for a long time.

Over the years, there were some modifications made to the frame. The rear loop had been raised, the top bar wasn't level, and was scab-welded to the neck. The axle hangers were tore up, and one had been moved to the outside of the frame. There were holes in the JS bearing supports.

Some of the issues found and repairs made:

The forks were welded so they wouldn't compress. I had to cut them apart, then cut the old legs apart to get at the original suspension pieces. I then slugged them and spliced to the bottom tree.

I replaced the top 7/8" piece and the bottom 1" piece and installed a new neck at 65 degrees. Top frame is 13.75" at the top. I heated and brought down the rear frame hoop to level, and leveled the top frame rail to it. Within .5 degrees anyway. It took two attempts at this. The first try yielded a 2 degree down slope which was very noticeable.

Fish mouth joints at all points except bottom 1" tube, which I heated, smashed flat, and butt-welded.

Working out rear wheel brake and spacing.

Leveled out the bike to set the stance on the front suspension.

Drilled holes shoved up the spring and retainers and put temporary bolts through.

Here she is mocked up with a Briggs FH 5, tires, chain, etc. Not far from being ready for it's test and final rigging before tear down, body work and paint. Re-popped Anderson pegs are upside down, and modified Triumph Jackhammer throttle and grips on the bars.

Off to a good start-been working at this for a couple of months. I've had help and advice from several good people here. More later.

I beginning to think they all came from the factory with humped up top tubes and bent necks...every one is like that.

Piece of cake for you Dave....subscribed! :thumbsup:

CarPlayLB

Damn Dave...aren't you just full of surprises?!

Nice work Mister! I am diggin those bike...may even be lookin' out for one outta the corner of my eye!
You work is first rate...keep the pics coming!

delray

so you are going with a big block 5hp.............:thumbsup:nice dave

i wonder who else has one of them rare big block frames........:rolleyes:

Re-posting data due to forum software switch-over deletion.

Non-original brake. I re-keyed the actuator arm to get better purchase with the brake cable. I re-drilled the brake hub anchor bolt closer to the actuator to get a better alignment on the brake cable.

Since this bike came with an ungoverned Briggs, this is what I did. I got a Gem 1358 throttle swivel used on the KT 100 kart engine. I drilled out the carburetor plate to accept the swivel. With the governor still attached, there is some throttle return available, but I added a 140 spring between the cable clamp and throttle swivel.

Some trimming of the air filter cassette was required. This set up works well.

This is the top view of the throttle setup using the KT-100 swivel I referred to earlier. This shows the spring as well. Note washer to keep a better fit on the end of the spring. I needed that to prevent binding.

Because the neck bolt holes were worn, I tightened them up by installing a piece of 5/8 copper pipe in the holes, lining it up and welding a bead on both sides of both holes.

I cut the pipe off, then ground it all down, and reamed the holes to 5/8. I am not sure if all the work was worth it. There remains a little bit of slop, but I did not torque down the neck bolt to really test it out. I will say it's slightly better.

And now on to final sanding, inspection of novice welding, and etching primer.

Cool idea on fixing the neck Dave!
Thanks Owen. I was able to blow holes through that copper. A piece of aluminum would have worked better. Also, enlarging the holes first might have made it easier to weld, although I lacked the guts to make it worse before making it better. :)