FLEXO on the East coast

Well i finally picked up a FLEXO today. The forks will need some work but the rest of the bike is decent. I am looking for more info on the bike. I know it is a early one because of the flat motor plate. The bike came with these steel wheels and i wasnt sure if that are correct or not. I know most of them came with 5" or 6" go powers. I posted some pics of the fork and if anyone has the correct springs or ends that hold them let me know.

Good score! That is a great project, Harley'sPapa (Randy) has two BigBear Scramblers in CT. They find their way to far away places sometimes and when you see em you should buy em, you got a good foundation and can find most if not everything else. You might check with YellowHand about springs, he has some NOS chrome ones I think but not for Flexos but manufacturers often used the same springs. You might see if BayareaBurrito could tell you the spring size, one of those Cali boys can tell ya!

Neck

Growing up is optional
If Flexco's made it to the East Coast, that gives me hope that a Murray or two will make it out West!

kbs8ball, yes is was local. It had some 4" ugly wheel on it and a 5 hp briggs. I asked the guy if he had the original / matching front wheel and he did. He also was able to slit the 5rom the roller also.

Nice Sly..... I've got a FLexo in the works right now as well. The Mac6 is just sittin' there waiting for me to find time to finish it...

JTG here on OldMiniBikes is a great source for Flexo help :thumbsup:

Nice find I am green with envy LOL
You are so lucky to have so many old bikes to choose from .
I guess there was just way way more manufacurers and people buying them , back in the old days than up here in canada.
It is getting hard to find a project bikes , so when I see I buy LOL.
What are your plans are you doing a restore or a rider ?
Rob

Well i finally picked up a FLEXO today. The forks will need some work but the rest of the bike is decent. I am looking for more info on the bike. I know it is a early one because of the flat motor plate. The bike came with these steel wheels and i wasnt sure if that are correct or not. I know most of them came with 5" or 6" go powers. I posted some pics of the fork and if anyone has the correct springs or ends that hold them let me know.
Good score! That is a great project, Harley'sPapa (Randy) has two BigBear Scramblers in CT. They find their way to far away places sometimes and when you see em you should buy em, you got a good foundation and can find most if not everything else. You might check with YellowHand about springs, he has some NOS chrome ones I think but not for Flexos but manufacturers often used the same springs. You might see if BayareaBurrito could tell you the spring size, one of those Cali boys can tell ya!
Nice score:thumbsup: I only have one the other one Ace is thinking of is an oversized Tom Thumb :thumbsup: I drove 2 hours each way but only paid $60 for the pair :thumbsup:

slywilliez
Nice score!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I have a couple of go Kart cycles and can't help you with the Flexo although they are related there were a few changes made to the Flexo's.. Try Scooterboy or Harleys P..
I can tell you that OldMiniBikes has the correct and complete rear sprocket and brake assembly available..
http://OldMiniBikes.com/4-Flexo-Brake-Assembly.html
http://OldMiniBikes.com/images/P/SBFLX4-01.jpg
Good luck with your resto keep us updated with some pix..

Last edited:

JTG

Nice find. Actually the the flat plate is a later version. The elevated plate was the early model. Since you have the flat plate you're correct in thinking it came with Go Power wheels which are available. There were steel wheels on some of the original Flexo's but only for a very short period. Shock springs are readily available but the shock upper and lower "at the moment" need to be fabricated. That gusset near the forks is an add on.

Ok, so the steel wheels correct for any year? Also what year would this be. What size are the go powers 5" or 6" i hope 6" because i have some. Thanks for the info. I plan on making the bike ridable but it wont be something i ride all of the time. THe mc-45 should make it fun lol.

JTG

The steel wheels are approximately 1961-1962. Your bike was probably made around 1966-1982. The flat plate was designed to accommodate the Briggs 3hp. Go Power type I wheels were used approximately 1963-1967. The Go Power type II wheels were used approximately 1968-1982. Since the flat plate design was used with type I and type II you have some flexibility. BAB is correct on the size. Flexo only used 5" wheels on the mini bikes.

JTG thanks a ton for your info. I think i am going to run 6" go power wheels for now being i only need one more to complete the set and 5" go powers are hard as hell to find.

JTG

All of the 6" Go power wheels I've seen are convex which means the sprocket on the drum usually rides about an inch away from the tire(5" are concave). That might be too wide for the Flexo frame. It would be a good idea to take some additional measurements before you purchase another 6" Go power wheel. Scooterboy could probably give you an exact width of a 6" Go power with a drum/sprocket attached.