Flexo

Gents;

With the scarcity of the Big Bear Scramblers vs. the demand, why not copy a good frame and make a 21st century model with CrMo, TIG, disc brakes et al? Just a thought.

V/R

Iverson

Hounddog

It is my understanding that they have been copied! Its great as long as they are being sold as repops and not as originals. They show up occasionally.:thumbsup:

Gents;

With the scarcity of the Big Bear Scramblers vs. the demand, why not copy a good frame and make a 21st century model with CrMo, TIG, disc brakes et al? Just a thought.

V/R

Iverson
Someone on this this forum has built several and has gone to great lengths to make them as original looking as possible. That would include GP wheels(typeII), 4" drum/sprocket and 4" brake. They are very nice bikes....... Oh yeah... he has the domain name too:thumbsup:

Another fellow I know is reproducing 25 GoKart BigBears complete with NOS WestBend engines. They should be near completion soon!! He doesn't come to this forum though.

Couldn't have said it better myself..... The only thing I see worthless in this thread is George's opinion.
That wasn't a very nice thing to say. Seems like you have a dog in this fight, maybe friends with, or involved with the reproduction of a vintage machine?

To some of us, copys "are" undesirable. I've contemplated (a Taco 100) a few times, but in the end, I'm about vintage and restorations. A scrambler is certainly on my wish list, but a copy of one is definitely not.

Repops have their place, and it's cool some of us have purchased rights/names and done the work for production. :thumbsup: Small business America right there, and I wish all of them the very best.

I hope my opinion isn't worthless too. Gawd knows I've spent about 8K in the past year on minibikes and parts. About half what an original scrambler costs. :laugh:

That wasn't a very nice thing to say. Seems like you have a dog in this fight, maybe friends with, or involved with the reproduction of a vintage machine?

To some of us, copys "are" undesirable. I've contemplated (a Taco 100) a few times, but in the end, I'm about vintage and restorations. A scrambler is certainly on my wish list, but a copy of one is definitely not.

Repops have their place, and it's cool some of us have purchased rights/names and done the work for production. :thumbsup: Small business America right there, and I wish all of them the very best.

I hope my opinion isn't worthless too. Gawd knows I've spent about 8K in the past year on minibikes and parts. About half what an original scrambler costs. :laugh:
You're right..that wasn't very nice. George should not have called people's skills , talents and dedication "near worthless". You're comment that copys are "undesireable to some" is fine... but worthless is a little harsh. These people put alot of time and effort into these projects!!

The fact that I have helped both of these people at some point in their endeavors is besides the point.....

george3

Thats my opnion, but my wording might of been out of line. Not as desirable would be more like it. I have seen better quality work than oem from a few on this site and elsewhere, Still not the same as owning an OEM whatever it may be. So dont get me wrong on my opnion. Some of the High Quality parts made and builds amazes me. Alot of tallent out there.

Last edited:

rmm727

The way I look at it is this...Owning a Frijole or a Big Bear Scrambler would be great but in all likelyhood I'll never find one around here. I would definitely own a copy if it was well executed. Both of these bikes would be many times cooler than what I have. Its like owning a AC Cobra kit car or the real Shelby version. Either way its pretty damn cool to have one.

You're right..that wasn't very nice. George should not have called people's skills , talents and dedication "near worthless". You're comment that copys are "undesireable to some" is fine... but worthless is a little harsh. These people put alot of time and effort into these projects!!

The fact that I have helped both of these people at some point in their endeavors is besides the point.....
Yeah, "worthless" was harsh, but my point on aliances is still very valid, especially on OldMiniBikes.

I think I could define "worthless" a bit better in this context though: That Bearcat is too small for me to enjoy riding. Thus, it would be relegated to "garage art," and that seems like a waste of my money.

If I'm going to spend 700 bones on chrome, two days and 130 on paint, it's gotta be either original, or at least something I can ride.

I'd rather own a decent reproduction and leave the originals to the collectors. I ride my bikes...
I ride all of mine. I've heard this comment quite a few times, and the inference that those of us who restore "don't" ride, is simply not accurate.

Riding mini bikes generally sucks anyway. Slow, ill-handling, uncomfortable, ancient technology made for 10 year olds. LOL, so how in the hell does buying and putting together a repop make "that" any different?

I'd rather restore a decent original, and ride it while intoxicated. :laugh::laugh: However, hats-off to those who are keeping this alive with repops, remanufactured parts, and knowledge that spans decades. :thumbsup:

The way I look at it is this...Owning a Frijole or a Big Bear Scrambler would be great but in all likelyhood I'll never find one around here. I would definitely own a copy if it was well executed. Both of these bikes would be many times cooler than what I have. Its like owning a AC Cobra kit car or the real Shelby version. Either way its pretty damn cool to have one.

rmm727
Don't give up hope originals do popup on OldMiniBikes from time to time..
This one turned up a few years ago..

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/complete-mini-bikes/36178-big-bear-scrambler.html

3yrs later

Dave I'm not accusing you of not riding your bikes. However, I do ride quite frequently with family. As often as possible without pissing anyone off. My point is to keep this a fun hobby for us, I can't spend 2 grand restoring every bike. Hence why I sold my GoKart Cycles. I know there are guys that value having that bike more than I. I do regret it, but at the time I just couldn't financially swing a proper resto.

Thats my opnion, but my wording might of been out of line. Not as desirable would be more like it. I have seen better quality work than oem from a few on this site and elsewhere, Still not the same as owning an OEM whatever it may be. So dont get me wrong on my opnion. Some of the High Quality parts made and builds amazes me. Alot of tallent out there.
Thanks George for re-phrasing that...

I agree that original is "more desirable"... but sometimes that isn't possible or likely in a particular time frame. That's where reproduction comes into play whether it's parts or the whole bike.
Plenty of people use reproduction parts on original bikes and seem to be OK with that. So where do you draw the line ? Grips, throttle, brake, drum/sprocket, fork lowers, frame, fork, seat ????? Replace them all and you have a reproduction bike:shrug:

Dave I'm not accusing you of not riding your bikes. However, I do ride quite frequently with family. As often as possible without pissing anyone off. My point is to keep this a fun hobby for us, I can't spend 2 grand restoring every bike. Hence why I sold my GoKart Cycles. I know there are guys that value having that bike more than I. I do regret it, but at the time I just couldn't financially swing a proper resto.
LOL, well, I dig what you're saying. I'm the same way with regard to "value." Heck, all of us would like to have museum pieces in our garages, at least those of us who are into the nostaliga aspects.

I'm a retired USMC vet, with disability living on a fixed income. I've already spent more than I should have on these minis, no kids around, grandkids 12 hours away, or further.

I suppose my outspoken views are what keeps my fellow OldMiniBikes members from sending me free minibikes. LMAO! Riding aint a biggie here. The neighbors probably prefer it over the burn outs we do with our Plymouths and Dodges. I'm done spending the big bucks too. It's been a good run though, but time to move on methinks.