Flywheel differences, and lighting coil.

Alright I start out by saying, I have 3 clones, 2 Powerease by BE, those are 210, and 1 harbour freight/princess auto 196 clones. All 3 remain stock, with no governor modifications.

A few months ago we had a different clone, an ALL POWER 207cc engine, but that seized from lack of oil. I took all the salvageable parts, nuts and bolts from it.

Today I was bored, so I placed the new flywheel from the 196 clone Ontop of the 207cc flywheel. I found that when I lined up the key ways the old flywheels magnet was about an inch forward. I did alighn the flywheels so both solid sides were towards eachother. --->>> <<<--- like this. So the way I lined them up for the picture might make it hard to understand the different timing, but it was the easiet way to line up the keyways.
as you can see the keys are lined up as best I can. I will find some flat stock or somthing to put both flywheels on facing the same direction to accurately see the difference. All 3 engines also have threaded holes spaced 3 inches apart to add coils

If I use the old flywheel on the new 196, will the timing difference be to my advantage, or make it worse?

My next question, I have found some lighting coils on eBay from the seller ProvenPart. They are 9 dollars, and I'm unsure of how many amps they put out, but will be plenty to run a single light. If not, i could easily add a second coil and run them together to produce twice the power. By far the hardest thing to find is a charging flywheel. The only place I have found is nr racing, and no, I'm not paying 110 dollars plus shipping for 3 flywheels. My next thought would be to go to Canadian tire and order the flywheels from the Baja big bikes with lights. They probly have the same engine as these clones and should fit. I called Bajamotorsports and the price is 45 dollars for a lighting flywheel, but 3 times that price for shipping, would buying through Canadian tire be easier and cheaper??

I know your all thinking "ahhh another flywheel and lighting thread" well I have done about 3 days of searching, and think I found enough info but just curious about a few things.

There is always a risk when you swap parts from one to another that something is not goinf to be quite right.

In the last few years some obvious differences between clones have started to cuase trouble.

The cams are a little different from the 196 to the 208 and 212 clones.
The tapper on the flywheel from the 196 is not the same as the 212.

The engines you have may use the same flywheel or it could be you have a taper issue.
This is somehthing you will need to look at very close at.

Here is a trick you could try.

Get some soot from a flame ( kerosene wick lamp wors well ) on the crank taper and then put the fly wheel on and give it a rub.
If the soot has rubbed off evenly the taper is probably the same.
If its not you will see where it is and is not in proper contact.

Prussian blue is paste more commonly use by a machinest to check fit and taper and you could use that if you have it.....

In your picture I also see a white plastic base around one magnet and black one.
I have found that in some ( but not all ) this white plastic cap indicates flywheel from a GX-160 with timing set at 24 deg BDC.
In practice most clones are in the range of 18 to 28 BDC ( low side in 200 high side in the 160 ).
Sloppy machining tollerences and questionsable quality control mean the timing from two identical engines can be out several deg.
The only way to be sure what your timing is is with a timing light.
From there you can use off set keys to fine tune.

There are some good videos on flywheel lapping on Youtube and from arc RACING.
I lap my flywheels as well.

WARNING:

if you are going to lap a flywheel or check the contact patch with the soot or prussion blue on a taper you need to make sure there are no burs on the shaft.
The steel will chew up an aluminum flywheel fast if you try and lap it.
Or bur can give you a false idea of that the taper fit contact patch looks like.

Good Luck with your build.

I guess I don't get notifications from this forum, sorry for the delayed response. On a 212 7hp power ease engine I coloured the crank taper with permanent marker and then spun the 207 and 196 flywheel on it and both flywheels left even and smooth marks on the taper and rubbed it of at the same point. Confirming that the crank taper is correct. Now if the flywheel from a Baja minibike with lights has a flywheel with internal magnets and the same taper, I'm set and ready for lights