flywheel removal

cncd11

i got a 5 hp briggs and was wondering what special tool i need to remove it. i am going to do the 3 hp flywheel install. any help would be great.

Take your engine model number to a local small engine shop or lawnmower shop, and they''l most likely have the puller. There are lot's of alternatives, but some can damage the flywheel if you're not careful. A shop may pull it for you cheap. The main thing is to NOT hammer on a cast iron flywheel. I always pull my own, but if I post my method, it will probably start another exploding flywheel thread.:doah:

cncd11

so is the flywheel screwed on or pressed in? if it is pressed in then i think i can handel it but what about the part for the recoil starter is it screwed on? reverse threads? and do i need to remove this first?

No, I suspend it in mid-air and heave the ground up to it. Takes special skills and lots of practice though.:wink:
actually, that is a better idea. you'd get a lot more force that way which would really help to knock the flywheel loose.

that might work for getting a clutch off that doesn't want to leave its home.

if you're really good, you could get a bounce and hit both sides. kill two birds with one stone ya know.

:scooter:

If it's the older style with the squared off shaft on the starter clutch, it is screwed on. The flywheel is presssed on the tapered crank. Actually pressed on by the startrer clutch being tightened. Don't over torque it when you put the 3hp one on.

Oldsalt

Take your engine model number to a local small engine shop or lawnmower shop, and they''l most likely have the puller. There are lot's of alternatives, but some can damage the flywheel if you're not careful. A shop may pull it for you cheap. The main thing is to NOT hammer on a cast iron flywheel. I always pull my own, but if I post my method, it will probably start another exploding flywheel thread.:doah:
You had to bring up that famous thread! I got tons of laughs when that thread was in progress! Let's do it again!!!!

So here goes: Hell, just pound a few screwdrivers behind the flywheel and beat on the end of the shaft with a 32 oz. ball-peen hammer! That flywheel will come off easy [not "'easily come off"'. We don't want nobody to think we know the difference between an adjective and an adverb]. If that don't work stick an acet. torch to it. Proper tools and factory instructions are for sissies!

Last edited:
all you have to do is give the end of the crank a good whack with a hammer.:hammer: that is what i do on all of mine. if it flares on you where you can't put the starter clutch back on just sand it down. this is what i do every time.:thumbsup:

nobody has really answered my second question about the starter clutch removal. is there a special tool to remove it? and which way are the threads standard or reverse threads?

there is a special tool to remove it but you really do not need it just get a 5/8 bolt that is about 5 inches long and use it to knock it loose and the it will come off. there will either be 2 tabs or 4 tabs on the start clutch this is where you need to place the bolt and hit it until the starter clutch loosens.

well i just removed the head on the motor and realized that this motor does not have a cast iron cylinder sleeve. will this motor block be worth building up? if not does anybody have a block that is in good condition that they are willing to sell?