Folding Welding Table

rmm727

I've seen these in catalogs and while they look nice, they are pretty pricey. Then I ran across this blog and got the idea to build my own.

Folding Portable Welding Table

Here is what I've got done so far. I have experience in 2d/3d design so I drew up some slots in AutoCAD and sent a dxf file to my local steel shop. They got a new kick :censure: CNC plasma over the summer and they cut this out of 1/4" plate for me. Cost for material and cutting: $60.

Added these hold down clamps and Vise Grip drill press clamps. The slots are 3/8" for the hold down clamps using a square-headed 3/8" bolt, a thick hardened washer and a wing nut. The slots for the drill press clamps are 1/2" and they come with their own wing nut, though I'll probably have to add a hardened washer there.

Nice. Are you going to make your own legs or get an old B&D Workmate (pulling off the wood top and using your own, of course) to use for legs?

Paul

rmm727

Gonna try to burn it home tomorrow and maybe cut the material for the links that connect the legs together and lock them in place.

rmm727

Link are all cut and drilled. Still need to deburr the holes and finish up the tabs to mount the legs. Welded up the bottom of the table today.

rmm727

Cut a piece of scrap tubing to hold the tabs in postion and at the correct distance apart. I used a piece of cardstock to allow for a bit of clearance.