Fox Jack Shaft

Sooo I stared at this today scratching my head as to how to get it out of it's rusted location. Can someone get me some pointers as to how to get this Jack Shaft out of a 70's Fox? Did I do a search first? Yeees so no flaming...well maybe a little.. I am new, but I'm wearing Asbestos Underwear!!

Thanks in advance!!

buckeye

Never messed with one of those.
Is there some kind of locking clip?

What I would do, certainly not recommended, would get the sprockets loose somehow. They look so rusted.
Then knock the shafts through one side or the other.

If you are going to replace everything, which looks like it should be, just cut the shaft and knock the bearings and and all right out.

Someone may have a better idea.

chrisr

I do not like messing with the old and crusty so I just cut the old shaft in half and use a new jackshaft and gears.

Sooo I stared at this today scratching my head as to how to get it out of it's rusted location. Can someone get me some pointers as to how to get this Jack Shaft out of a 70's Fox? Did I do a search first? Yeees so no flaming...well maybe a little.. I am new, but I'm wearing Asbestos Underwear!!

Thanks in advance!!

CarPlayLB

I'd cut the shaft too! You try hammering it out and you may bend the bearing plates. Take a couple cuts next to each gear. You can probably save the gears too! After you cut make sure you liberally bath it in PB Blaster or something similar

rugblaster

I'd cut that sum beach up so fast with a fire wrench (torch) it would make your bearing spin

I'd hit it a couple of times with a hammer after I cut the sh** out of it.

Don't take any sh** out of these things.

george3

Cut the shaft on the right side sprocket, where the opening is. both sides of the sprocket. Hold the center of the shaft with vice grips. Replace it all. Not worth drilling out the allen screws.

Thank you so much for your responses I appreciate them! I'm assuming after I cut it out I'll have to fab a shaft from scratch, and find the appropriate sprockets? I've seen videos on people making them from a piece of stock with a keyway in it..is that the best way? Is the another way?

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Yup, yup. Stock Keyed Shaft, 2 sprockets, sheer keys, bearings.

Is this 5/8 OR 3/4" shaft ? Also how wide is the Shaft?

Last edited:

CarPlayLB

It's a 5/8" shaft 7 1/4" long. I managed to get it cut out, and knocked out the rusty old bearings!!
cue the Rocky Balboa music!
Good job Roogus!
...and all the talk of fabbing your own shaft? OldMiniBikes has those. Just buy one a little too long and cut it to length.

Hahaha thanks..now I have that song stuck in my head.."Gonna flyyy noooow..da da daaa"!! I'll check out OldMiniBikes! Thanks for the tip!!