g200 carb type bb issues????

Here's the problem. My type bb carb off of a late model Honda g200 running a flex cable with a new return spring is doing this. Having the twist throttle governor arm and carb throttle all in the idle position. I can twist the throttle and opening the carb throttle full. But when the twist throttle is returned by the new return spring to the idle position. The governor arm does not return with it, leaving the carb throttle wide open. Can't find any info in the Carb manual from honda. Wondering if Honda shop manual has any info or anyone know from experience

Motra

What do you have the throttle connected to? Is it connected to the throttle control or the governor arm? On a governed engine you need the throttle to operate the throttle control without interfering with the governor arm. I can email you info from the Honda service manual if you want, I'm a Honda tech.

65ShelbyClone

No it's a G200 and the Honda carb code is BB. I'll learn how to post photos
Yeah, pictures would show us how you have everything set up. I have a few photos of G200s and it looks like the throttle cable needs to pull on a spring which in turn pulls on the throttle arm/linkage/etc, not be coupled directly. The spring allows the governor to override the twist throttle.

Yes can you please an you please send me the shop manual Motra. I learned alot last night by myself. I will teach myself how to post photos and get them on line.

[/url
Okay so here's what i rigged up. As you can see. Not knowing how the governor truly worked I added a return spring on the bottom of the governor arm. Only to learn how the governor really works. Lesson learned. Motra is sending some info and I'll go from there. Thanx guys..... more to come

Without seeing the new info Motra is sending. I ask this. Should or can the governor just be, not disconnected but disengaged. Any thoughts?

Without seeing the new info Motra is sending. I ask this. Should or can the governor just be, not disconnected but disengaged. Any thoughts?
It appears the governer has been removed by what I can see but I'm not familiar with the G200, looks like the shaft is gone.............:shrug:

Motra

It looks like it's hooked up OK, I don't see why it wouldn't return to idle. The part of the throttle that the cable is connected to rotates and there is a wing nut that puts tension on that point for stationary use. If that is too tight it wouldn't return. Did you loosen that a little so the throttle control moves freely?
For those that don't know, the G200 is a side valve, verticle cylinder engine like an old Briggs.

65ShelbyClone

For those that don't know, the G200 is a side valve, verticle cylinder engine like an old Briggs.
Yeah, at least equivalent to the high-end Briggs I/C series with a dual bearing crank and iron cylinder sleeve. They're probably better than a Briggs I/C, actually.

Anyone ever see the pics of one converted to a semi-OHV? :eek:ut:

They were significantly better....

But about a cubic inch smaller....

The trouble with the G200 and its predicesor the G50 was cost. Your buying a clone today for less than I paid just for a replacement connecting rod back in the 80s. This made no sence so smart monet bought B&S and replaced them more often

Yes I even siliconed every thing. But it still wouldn't return so i rigged that spring up to the lower part of the governor arm. This worked. Well worked when the motor wasn't running. With the motor running though I learned how the governor works. So now when I go to full throttle the arm starts to engage and fluctuates the rpms up and down. Where do I go from here. Can the governor be disconnected internally so i can run the stock throttle assembly. Or do i need to figure out/ purchase a different throttle setup.

125ccCrazy

I'd take all the govenor linkage off and hook the cable direct to the carb with a return spring off the throttle arm to bracket bolted to the engine somewhere and eliminate all the un-needed parts... If using common sense you are not going to blow the engine up by taken the govenor off... An even better solution would be to put a mikuni, keihin or walbro carb on it and eliminate all the mess, all you will have is one cable to the carb, no return springs needed since everything is self contained in the carb..... I personally never liked all that factory linkage and springs the manufactures put on the engines, too many pieces that can get stuck, bent ect... This is just my 2 cents.

Motra

Governors have a very important role on small engines. Keep in mind these engines were not designed or intended for minibikes or go-karts. Briggs won't even talk to you if say the word "minibike." Try mowing your lawn without a governor and you're likely to mow your feet off too. I think the reason most people are so hasty to disconnect their governors is because they don't understand them and can't figure out how to make the throttle work with the governor operational. (What we don't understand must be junk so throw it away.) Minibikes work great with governors and you don't have to worry about anything, you can even let a child ride without fear of maiming him or her. If I build a performance engine I won't use a governor but the engine will be built for it, but for an unmodified engine I'll gladly keep the governor.

Motra

Yes I even siliconed every thing. But it still wouldn't return so i rigged that spring up to the lower part of the governor arm. This worked. Well worked when the motor wasn't running. With the motor running though I learned how the governor works. So now when I go to full throttle the arm starts to engage and fluctuates the rpms up and down. Where do I go from here. Can the governor be disconnected internally so i can run the stock throttle assembly. Or do i need to figure out/ purchase a different throttle setup.
If the engine is fluctuating then there's another problem. It's probably the extra springs pulling in the wrong places but it could also be a carburetor problem or a fuel delivery problem or an air leak or the static governor setting is off, etc.
I'll try to get the info to you tomorrow. The problem with Honda service info is that it's protected so I can't just send a pdf file. I need to actually print the pages and scan them back onto the computer before I can send them. And BTW, Honda won't offer ANY information about disconnecting the governor.

In the 80s I used to remove the governer from the G200 and weld up the hole in the crank case cover.

But I ran a Mikuni....

They have a very strong botton end but I make no claims about this being smart.