Gas leak from the tank!

Hey everyone,

I am new to the forums, but I am not new to engines.

So today I was filling up my Briggs & Stratton that I got off a craigslist trade, and then about 30 seconds later gas started coming out of the back of the gas tank. I figure there is either a hole in the tank or the tank is not on properly. Or maybe there is some other problem, so here is a few pictures to show what I mean..

Can anyone help me with this issue?

Yes I agree is there a gasket, or some bolts that hold the gas tank I could try to tighten? I couldn't find any bolts that held the gas tank... of course I'm not that great at searching for things either.

i'm not an expert on mowers in the least bit, but common sense would lead me to start unscrewing all the engine shroud/plastic pieces until I could get the tank off. Pressurize the tank and put that part of the tank in water to see if it starts bubbling maybe.

Thanks I will try filling it with water tomorrow and sealing it if possible. I did some research after making this post, and it seems that it is very common that these gas tanks on the Briggs and Stratton lawn mowers have problems with the seams leaking. Which is bad news..

Do you think a tank like this would work if I bought a new one -- briggs and stratton 190cc model 12v gas tank assembly | eBay

I will obviously take off the tank and make sure before I buy one, but is it common for a lot of models to have the same gas tank?

haha ^ That's alright I just wanted to know if it was common for a lot of models of lawn mowers to have the same gas tank? But this may be a question for another member if you are not a huge fan of lawn mowers.

C9H13NO3

haha ^ That's alright I just wanted to know if it was common for a lot of models of lawn mowers to have the same gas tank? But this may be a question for another member if you are not a huge fan of lawn mowers.
I can't tell you if that tank would definitely fit, but if you can get me the Model #'s from your engine I can check for you.