GC160 crankshaft swap?

Im needing to do this with a gc160 i just picked up. the output shaft is way to small to put a clutch on and when i call honda to find out which shaft i can swap in they say they cant tell me and they tell me to call a local honda repair. When i call the honda repair place they look up my type motor and tell me theres only one listed for my model number? ereplacementparts.com has about 15 different gc160 types and 10 different crankshaft types for all the different gc160 motors. Is it possible that there is different internal differences on the crankshafts of all the different gc160 motors?

That would be great Motra!

PM sent......

This really needs to be figured out because there are a ton of theses GC160 around for cheap and even though theres not a single aftermarket piece out there for this series of motor. They still make great running engines for small kids to put on their mini bike or gokart projects. Ive seen a few post on this forum with guys asking the same question as me. Hopefully we can get this figured out.

Guys i got a PM from Motra and this is what he had to say...

Hey Cliff,
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet. The type PHA is a water pump engine, it is a 3/4" shaft but it's threaded externally and has no keyway. The shaft you'll need is 13310-ZL8-600 and it's only about $25.00. It should work on your engine just great. If you need any help let me know.
Steve

Im assuming that all crankshafts between the GC160 series motors are interchangable, and that the only differences are the outer shaft variances

they should be interchangeable. they use the same engine but different cranks depending on the application.
Yes this was my first thought until the guy at the parts counter of my local honda repair shop acted like the only crank available, or that i could use, was the one that originally came in it? I knew this couldnt be right.

Now my question is what all do i need to replace when i tear it down to do the crank swap? Bearings? Thrust washer? Gaskets or seals?

Yes this was my first thought until the guy at the parts counter of my local honda repair shop acted like the only crank available, or that i could use, was the one that originally came in it? I knew this couldnt be right.
just because they work at a dealer it doesn't mean they know what they're talking about. i've worked with some people that didn't know their head from their ass at the Harley dealership here.

just because they work at a dealer it doesn't mean they know what they're talking about. i've worked with some people that didn't know their head from their ass at the Harley dealership here.
yeah i here ya. Its been from my experience, most of the time, that they usually do know what there talking about. When I was 14-15 I worked at a local lawnmower shop for my uncle and there where 2 old mechanics that new everything there was to know about every nut and bolt on any engine that came across there work table. They had me doing simple tune-ups on lawnmowers and tillers and such. Basic diagnosing and repair kind of stuff. I loved it...then i turned 16 and bought a 77 z28 camaro! it was all over but the crying. Im 37 now and you cant find a competent mechanic to save your ass anymore!

Motra

I agree! Product knowledge is certainly not a requirement, BS is.

But when it comes to swapping parts like this, how would a parts guy know if it would work? I'm a Honda tech with many years under my belt, even considered a Honda Top Tech, with a lot of parts experience too, and I don't really know if it would work without any issues. How would I? Unless I've actually tried it, which I haven't. It's not information that Honda would make available, in fact they (as well as all other engine manufacturers) would discourage altering their product.

It's not information that Honda would make available, in fact they (as well as all other engine manufacturers) would discourage altering their product.
Discorage altering a product..... I do not think I like the sound of that at all...

Motra

When I was 14-15 I worked at a local lawnmower shop for my uncle and there where 2 old mechanics that new everything there was to know about every nut and bolt on any engine that came across there work table.
This is true! I've worked with old guys that know everything, it's amazing. I don't know why we're such dumb shits now days.

But when it comes to swapping parts like this, how would a parts guy know if it would work? I'm a Honda tech with many years under my belt, even considered a Honda Top Tech, with a lot of parts experience too, and I don't really know if it would work without any issues. How would I? Unless I've actually tried it, which I haven't. It's not information that Honda would make available, in fact they (as well as all other engine manufacturers) would discourage altering their product.
So Motra when you said... "The shaft you'll need is 13310-ZL8-600 and it's only about $25.00. It should work on your engine just great." Your just assuming that it should work. Or you know for a fact there is no difference other than external shaft differences?

Do you happen to have these crankshafts in stock at your shop to be able to compare?

I remember reading a old post where a guy swap out his crank for a used one he found on ebay. Ill see if i can get him to chime in on this also

Motra

OK, I checked four different service manuals for the GC160 and a generator powered by a GC160, and all the crankshaft measurements are the same. So if I were to bet on it I'd bet that it'd work just fine.