Gilson Restomod

I picked up this roller that I'm going to use for my first vintage bike. It will be a bit of a restomod. Based on the red-orange paint that is under the turquoise everywhere, it was likely originally branded as a Gilson. My plans are to build it in the spirit of a Montgomery Wards 525 because I just like the way they look. Plans are a 5hp engine with a TAV2 running to the original jackshaft. I'd like to find an older Tecumseh to put on it but in the end it will be whatever 5hp that I can find for a reasonable price. On to the pictures....

The frame and forks are in good condition. The all have surface rust but everything is straight. I haven't found any cracks anywhere. There is a little play in the neck. I'll see what that is when I disassemble everything. The seat is nearly perfect, just small splits near the front of the seat. Not sure if I'll recover that or leave it as is.

The front wheel wheel has a decent chunk missing out of it. I'm hoping I can weld a new section and repair it but welding cast aluminum is pretty sketchy. It's not really any good as is so it's worth a try.

The rear brake assembly seems to all be there.

Drivetrain seems to all be there and spins free.

Friends

Any tips, tricks or comments are welcome. I've been researching these bikes ever since I've picked it up but this is my first vintage bike.

Last edited:
Front fender will need some work but it's fixable.

Unfortunately the throttle is broken where the cable connects. I'm hoping I can plastic weld some material in there or something to fix it. I'd like to reuse it since I have it and the metal part is in repairable condition.

I hope to do a total disassembly in the next 2 weeks and will tell me what I'm really dealing with.

Last edited:
I started doing some minor disassembly last night. I didn't bring enough socket or wrench home from my shop so I couldn't get the wheels or forks off.

Can anyone tell me how to get the forks apart at the springs? They are currently seized and I don't see what holds them together other than the current rust.

buckeye

PB Blaster or some type of penetrating liquid/lube.
And if they are like the rest, you just turn the lower forks. They will unwind from the cups.

Thanks guys. I'll get the front wheel off tonight and give it a go. I had no idea they unscrewed but that would explain why I couldn't find any hardware. I'm not sure how solid they are seized up but we'll find out.

I got the bike 95% disassembled last night. Forks came apart pretty easily once I knew what I was doing. The seat base was rotted so I wound up ripping that off. The rear brake needs replaced/relined. I cataloged every nut, bolt and washer needed so I can replace them all with stainless.

It looks like I need to find at least half of a good Gilson wheel. The sprocket side of my rear is a bit busted up. It looks like either from age or from the sprocket not being tight that half of the wheel has been pretty beat up. If I can find a whole wheel then I could replace the half of the rear wheel that is broken and the half of the front wheel that is broken.

I've got a line on an old Gilson rototiller that has the perfect engine. It's a 5hp Tecumseh of the right era and would look great on the bike. If it runs or will run and the price is right I'll be getting that tomorrow.

Last edited:
I started doing some minor disassembly last night. I didn't bring enough socket or wrench home from my shop so I couldn't get the wheels or forks off.

Can anyone tell me how to get the forks apart at the springs? They are currently seized and I don't see what holds them together other than the current rust.

If you plan on painting it you can use a propane torch after a good soaking with PB blaster and some time to let most of the flammable volatile chemicals flash out. Heat it above the spring cup though and avoid the springs then gently twist, once they are loose you can spin the spring out of the upper cups and then work the lowers off. I have removed many fork lowers like this.

If you plan on painting it you can use a propane torch after a good soaking with PB blaster and some time to let most of the flammable volatile chemicals flash out. Heat it above the spring cup though and avoid the springs then gently twist, once they are loose you can spin the spring out of the upper cups and then work the lowers off. I have removed many fork lowers like this.
I got the forks apart with relative ease. Everything will be getting sandblasted and powdercoated a color to be determined.

I got the forks apart with relative ease. Everything will be getting sandblasted and powdercoated a color to be determined.
That's good, they do not always come loose easily but they will if you are patient. As for a lighted coil engine, I have the original lighted H50 big block from my Gilson I'll sell you. Not a lot of compression and no carb but it does have the minibike throttle setup still, it has no recoil but I think I have one and will throw it in if it works. I'd take $130 delivered and it will cost me $50-60 to ship so the engine is cheap really. PM me if you are interested.

I didn't wind up getting the motor on Saturday. I had assumed a 5hp on a Gilson rototiller would be a Tecumseh but it was a Briggs. It would be an ok engine but I've got time so I'm going to hold and and wait to try and find a Tecumseh. At this point I won't buy one before Christmas and my birthday which follows soon after unless I find a crazy deal.

Any recommendations for fixing this throttle? I was able to get the other grip so I would like to reuse these but where the cable attaches is busted out. I have found plastic throttle inserts that would likely work but they are all 7/8" and my bars are 1". My next best idea is to use some sort of plastic weld/repair to add material to the grip and then shave back into shape.

I didn't wind up getting the motor on Saturday. I had assumed a 5hp on a Gilson rototiller would be a Tecumseh but it was a Briggs. It would be an ok engine but I've got time so I'm going to hold and and wait to try and find a Tecumseh. At this point I won't buy one before Christmas and my birthday which follows soon after unless I find a crazy deal.

You might have missed in my post that I am selling my Gilson lighted coil H50 big block for little to nothing. It needs a total rebuild but for $130 shipped it's a great start, it has a 3/4" shaft and minibike throttle but no carb. PM me if you want it.

capguncowboy

You might have missed in my post that I am selling my Gilson lighted coil H50 big block for little to nothing. It needs a total rebuild but for $130 shipped it's a great start, it has a 3/4" shaft and minibike throttle but no carb. PM me if you want it.
you'd be crazy to pass this offer up. Hell, I'll take it if he doesn't.