Gx200 head help

Hey guys I need a little help with a head question
I'm wondering if I should port and polish my stock head or should I buy a stock 14cc head on it?

Ok...but what CC head do you have now? 18? 22?
Most likely a 22 right now.

A 14 would be better if you plan on running the dish piston and no other changes.

But this is already a jackpot thread since we have no other info on the engine or bike or planned build modifications.

Most likely a 22 right now.

A 14 would be better if you plan on running the dish piston and no other changes.

But this is already a jackpot thread since we have no other info on the engine or bike or planned build modifications.
I know....but if he doesn't know...seems he may be jumping the gun on modding. There are a lot of guys that jump on here and wanna go fast..but never take the time to learn the basics or the fundamentals of a small engine. But I do agree...for a quik go faster thing...use a 14cc. But if you wanna really go fast or have plans to build big..use the 18cc.

I know....but if he doesn't know...seems he may be jumping the gun on modding. There are a lot of guys that jump on here and wanna go fast..but never take the time to learn the basics or the fundamentals of a small engine. But I do agree...for a quik go faster thing...use a 14cc. But if you wanna really go fast or have plans to build big..use the 18cc.
It can be overwhelming for newcomers to sift all this information.

There is a lot to learn.

Agreed. Dude not to sound like an a**hole, but I strongly advise you to take the time and do some homework before just jumping in and trying to build a "hot rod" small engine. I made this mistake and I consider my first clone build a miserable failure. Be methodical and keep in mind your specific goal for what you want this machine to do. It's said on here time and time again, but it couldn't be more accurate, your final product is merely the sum of the parts you put in it and they all have to work together to get the results your after. And don't forget that there is more to the bike than just motor. Things like gearing are also extremely important to how your bike will perform. Again not trying to be discouraging, just don't want to see someone set the self up for disappointment like I did my first time out.

Ok guys here is a little about the bike
1970 ruttman spyder
Gearing is 12/62

Motor is a 6.5 clone with header,18lb springs, airfilter, and some carb work the bike is quick already but I want it to be a lil faster,

I'm going to use the bike for basically drag racing
I want it to have a good launch and have some good top end

I'm gonna have about 400$ to spend

And yeah my motor gas the stock head the 22cc I wanted to know if I sjouke port and polish and mill that or get a smaller head

Ok guys here is a little about the bike
1970 ruttman spyder
Gearing is 12/62

Motor is a 6.5 clone with header,18lb springs, airfilter, and some carb work the bike is quick already but I want it to be a lil faster,

I'm going to use the bike for basically drag racing
I want it to have a good launch and have some good top end

I'm gonna have about 400$ to spend

And yeah my motor gas the stock head the 22cc I wanted to know if I sjouke port and polish and mill that or get a smaller head
The 14cc head is a fast way to build some power....but if you do not have a billet rod...it is also a fast way to make a hole in your block and dreams.

The 14cc head is a fast way to build some power....but if you do not have a billet rod...it is also a fast way to make a hole in your block and dreams.
This is what I was thinking about running
24mm mikuni
Billet rod
Billet fly wheel
Flat top piston
Cam I'm going to need hell with anyone know what cam I should run
Custom stage 3 f&b header
And can some one tell me which head I should use and what to do to it
Also what springs and rockers

Popular cams would be a black Mamba or black Mamba jr. Check out smallenginecams.com they just released a bunch of new profiles and a tutorial on selecting the best cam

start with the basics

It's gona be a squeaker on 400 bucks, Youve got a carb picked out and you dont even have a clue what cam your gona run!
The carb and adapter will eat half your budget alone.

Do the rod and flywheel so you can toss the gov and turn some serious rpm safely.
Put in a dyno CS or CM grind cam and play with your jetting till it runs right.

You'll still have some money for gas, so have a ball with that for a while and
do a head swap, porting and high lift rockers etc..later when you've boned up on how to do that.

Last edited:
Depends what your polishing, do not polish your intake, there is no gain in polishing your combustion chamber. Maybe polish your paint job that's about it.

This is what I was thinking about running
24mm mikuni
Billet rod
Billet fly wheel
Flat top piston
Cam I'm going to need hell with anyone know what cam I should run
Custom stage 3 f&b header
And can some one tell me which head I should use and what to do to it
Also what springs and rockers
Just a little faster on a tight budget is hard to do.

Cheapest things first.
Champion rockers ( or a step bellow are Honda but both of these are better than stock.

Cam Tim Isky makes lot of good cams that are not expensive.
Alternative Burris racing can sell you some Yahmaha rockers ( so can the Yamaha dealer in your area )

No money for Billet?
Nonsence there are Steel billet and very inexpensive alternatives like the PLV entry level PLV and although some disaprove the Honda GXV 160 lawn mower flywheel is extremely strong.

Valves and stock clone parts could and should be upgraded at least to Honda parts.
Springs depend on cam

Carbs what ever floats your boat....
But you have a stock valve head so nothing bigger than 22mm will help you.( no one listens anyways so run what ever makes you happy, I strongly sugest you avoid large tillotsons and slide carbs )

Piston use the Z4M Honda.
File fit an over size top ring for .005 no tighter !!!
This is bumping up against the limits for tightness I mean it no tighter....

I would sugest you measure now with your stock rod and the flat top piston you order and then run a longer than stock rod since most clones are in the hole already.
There are plenty of aftermarket head gaskets to help you get your quench around .030.

I like the 14cc head its a great torquy little head with lots of potential.
Porting polishing keep it is conservative, just knock the edges off the ports and make things smooth not bigger ( much info on porting here just read ).