H35 timeline and differences

pomfish

Approx what year did the H35 go from Side Poop to rear exhaust?

I always thought the Side poops were older but I have a Silver H35 with rear discharge and it is older than the white side pooper tat I have.

Now I have seen some black Tec H35's with the big primer bulb in the fan shrouds that look like they are much newer and they are rear discharge.
Confusing to say the least.

Thanks,
Keith

jrzmac

Approx what year did the H35 go from Side Poop to rear exhaust?

I always thought the Side poops were older but I have a Silver H35 with rear discharge and it is older than the white side pooper tat I have.

Now I have seen some black Tec H35's with the big primer bulb in the fan shrouds that look like they are much newer and they are rear discharge.
Confusing to say the least.

Thanks,
Keith
I dont think Tecumseh went from side pooper to rear exhaust. I'm pretty sure they always had side poopers. they were just used in certain equipment. like tillers and shredders and stuff. they were never made to fit on mini bikes. anybody that has one like me, knows that the muffler blowing against your leg is not the greatest design for a bike. and need to come up with an exhaust to aim out the rear!

jrzmac

metal man did it for me... he did it like 10 states away! lots of measuring and stuff but he nailed it. he can hook you up if you ask him. although he only has one hand right now, because he ripped the crap out of the other one. doubt he could be doing any fab work right now. couldn't hurt to ask though!

they were never made to fit on mini bikes. anybody that has one like me, knows that the muffler blowing against your leg is not the greatest design for a bike. and need to come up with an exhaust to aim out the rear!
No entirely true...several manufactures utilized them. (Arco comes to mind off the top of my head)
I don't mind them one bit...they usually can be found for decent prices and often have low hours on them. Love the exhaust jrzmac...:thumbsup:

speaking of exhaust...since I lucked into an hs40 for my trike, I started looking again at some of the HPE/ Muskin/CAT brochures....interesting that on some of the 4hp bikes they kept the "snowblower" style mufflers......

speaking of exhaust...since I lucked into an hs40 for my trike, I started looking again at some of the HPE/ Muskin/CAT brochures....interesting that on some of the 4hp bikes they kept the "snowblower" style mufflers......
Yup...judging by the brochures...it appears they eventually went with the Taylor "spark arrestor" pipes in 71' on the 4hp bikes. I'm keeping the "snowblower" style muffler on the HS40 for my 70' 400X.
Gerry what do you plan on using on the Twister ???

what do you plan on using on the Twister ???
ahhh that is a good question..I was playing around with a few different ideas...I may use some variation of a Taylor 100/ 200 but it will need a custom bent tube.....thought about chroming a "hot dog" muffler too and pointing it out the side.......:shrug:

jrzmac

No entirely true...several manufactures utilized them. (Arco comes to mind off the top of my head)
I don't mind them one bit...they usually can be found for decent prices and often have low hours on them. Love the exhaust jrzmac...:thumbsup:
that figures, leave it to a company from New Jersey to use side pooper engines on their mini bikes!

If you find one from the 60's they usually have a cast iron sleeve in them. My Rupp Continental has a 3.5hp Tecumseh and it has a cast iron sleeve in it.

I'd like to know the answer to the OPs original question. I've been given an old H22, so my interest in Tecumseh's has been peaked. I'm more of a Briggs man, but I want to learn more.

So, at some point, Tecumseh decided to move the exhaust. And I'm guessing the original design was Lauson's. The question is when. And was the change all at once with all models? Or did they do it one model at a time?

The exhaust wasn't moved, Tecumseh made engines both ways at the same time of production. Sears was one of them that had them make engines they way they wanted them for the yard equipment they sold. Edgers used a lot of the side popper engines on them to blow the exhaust away from your legs while using them.