heads up regarding the .265 dyno cam

just a heads up to everyone out there thinking about buying the .265 dyno cam. the website, (arc) said that it is a drop in and go part that will fit into a gx200 or 6.5 clone with no modification or grinding. this is not the case, at least in my experience. i installed mine last night, went to turn the crankshaft and...kachunk! the intake lobe would not clear the inside bottom lip of the cylinder sleeve. and i'm not talking about a quick hand file modification here, i had to grind the hell out of the inside of the block to make the intake lobe clear. not a big deal really but still i think mabye they need to revise their ad or at least put a disclaimer in. i went ahead and made clearance for the exhaust lobe too because it BARELY cleared and i didnt want to run into problems with expansion when the engine heats up. anyway just figured i would let anyone who cares know. Its a great cam, just not exactly as advertised.

my engine is a Honda gx200 and the cam is a .265 lift dyno cam. if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Peace out

just a heads up to everyone out there thinking about buying the .265 dyno cam. the website, (arc) said that it is a drop in and go part that will fit into a gx200 or 6.5 clone with no modification or grinding. this is not the case, at least in my experience. i installed mine last night, went to turn the crankshaft and...kachunk! the intake lobe would not clear the inside bottom lip of the cylinder sleeve. and i'm not talking about a quick hand file modification here, i had to grind the hell out of the inside of the block to make the intake lobe clear. not a big deal really but still i think mabye they need to revise their ad or at least put a disclaimer in. i went ahead and made clearance for the exhaust lobe too because it BARELY cleared and i didnt want to run into problems with expansion when the engine heats up. anyway just figured i would let anyone who cares know. Its a great cam, just not exactly as advertised.

my engine is a Honda gx200 and the cam is a .265 lift dyno cam. if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Peace out
You messed up some where along the lines.

I put the same cam in 3 clones and alot of others have with no grinding.

JamnJM

Did you rough measure the cam in case they gave you a higher lift cam by accident?

Caliper the base and then the nose / lift & use math....

Its the right cam and I didn't mess up anywhere. Started from scratch doing a complete tear down and rebuild. Billet rod with standard length. Flat top piston etc. this is an older gx200 that was on a trash pump. I switched out the crank with a newer gx200 crank because the old one was metric. I contacted arc, and they said I am not the only one to call about this.

JamnJM

Ok, but did they put the wrong cam in the box or mis marked the cam? Stuff happens like that...

Or your older block is different then the current block?

Always, test fit the cam in there before installing the crank, rod and piston....:thumbsup:

Ok, but did they put the wrong cam in the box or mis marked the cam? Stuff happens like that...

Or your older block is different then the current block?

Always, test fit the cam in there before installing the crank, rod and piston....:thumbsup:
blocks are the same.

they may have sent him a .275 witch would need the removing of the block on the intake side.

Its nice, very nice pull down low and up top. Jesse.... can you please explain again how I tell if they sent me the wrong cam by measuring it? I don't have a caliper but I can get 1. the cam pulls unbelievably hard which probably means you're right and they sent me a bigger 1 than they were supposed to but hey I'm cool with that it didn't cost me more than 50 bucks so I can live with it. you said you think it's the 275 lift cam right? I'm going to pull the engine apart again this afternoon and measure it just to make sure. this kind of sucks because I planned this whole engine around that 265 lift cam and I left the valve train stock but now I'm thinking I might need to change it if I have the 275. I'm only running 18 pound springs in stock valve is that going to cause a problem? I did my homework on the 265 cam but don't know anything about the 275 any advice anybody has would be appreciated

i heard that you need to measure the lobes top to bottom then subtract the measurement from the base circle? whats the base circle, the bottom of the cam shaft that plugs into the engine or the bottom of the big cam face? not sure how this works. if its a better cam than i paid for then im not gonna complain but i know that more expensive does not always mean better. if it is the 275 lift instead of the 265 modified that i ordered then thats ok. heres my setup.
gx200
22mm minkuni
uni, adapter, pulse fitting
fuel pump
rob torque tube header, long
billet wheel and rod, stock length rod
flat top piston stock bore
4 degree advance key
removed resistor in the the plug boot
14cc head, no milling
race plug
18lb springs
and of course the 265 or 275 (whatever it is) cam.
i left the valve train basically stock because i didnt think i needed to modify it until i get some different rockers in a month. once i change rockers i plan on going to bigger valves. this engine was built to ride with the guys in the mini bike club thing we got going on over here in my neck of the woods. NOT A DAILY DRIVER, probably get ridden every weekend for a couple of hours. I need to know what cam i have just because i dont want some unkown parts banging around inside my engine that i dumped so much cash into. If my wife knew how much i spent on this thing she would kill me!

:scooter: you get that tire fixed... i wanna ride that thing man... you missed a ridiculously hard .. but fun ride sun...maybe next ride though. Buy yeah i wanna see how the additions add up to what he have on the predators. Im off today and tom. So let me know. You have the number

Yeah I swapped the you're out yesterday finally. Not sure whats going on with this can though,I need to figure or which one it is do u can build around it it I need to

so I just got off the phone with russell at an r racing literally 3 minutes ago and he informed me that when you installed 265 modified lift cam on a clone there are no clearance issues however if you are installing it into a real honda there will be clearance issues because the blocks are thicker. he verify for me that it is indeed the 265 lift modified camp that I received so I got my order correct. no big deal and an awesome quick customer service call back thanks nr!! so just to recap if you do you order a .265 lift modified dyno cam, and attempt to install it on a genuine honda gx 200 you will need to grind the block for clearance.

It is an older block issue. I had a older GX200 block that this cam wouldn't fit in. My clearance issues didn't seem as bad as yours though. I put that cam in a new GX200 clone block with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk