Heald SuperTryke STX16 restoration thread

I originally started this thread under more than two wheels here:

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/m...ald-supertryke-stx-16-restoration-thread.html

I now realize that this should have been posted under project logs. I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread before it gets too deep. Here are the updates so far:

--------------------------------------------------------------

I just bought another Heald Supertryke a few weeks ago and thought I would start a thread to document restoration. Attached are pictures of how I got it and where it is currently.

Info:
Heald Supertryke - Serial 564 (1983 -1984)
16 HP Briggs Twin
Gearbox

The bench seat was added, but I got the original bucket with it. The previous owner installed new handlebars, which is why they are too long for a bucket seat tryke. These will be cut down. The sprockets have been changed and the frame was cut to make the fit (roughly). This resulted in the rear frame cracking in the middle. It is currently getting repaired by a local welding shop. Unfortunately, I didn't get good pictures of the before. I got a package from Ron Kimball today with a few items that I need. More to come!

Progress! The rear frame is finished. The rear tube has been replaced. The badly welded angle has been removed from the gearbox mount and replacement material welded in. It's ready for paint. Also, footpeg brackets have been welded to the front fork using the positions Ron Kimball sent me. Painting is about to start.

I also started on the axle. One side of the differential was a mess. Here's an old and new picture.

Thanks for posting the pictures of the brochure. I haven't seen that one before.

The handle with the grip is for the gearbox (forward/neutral/reverse).

I talked about this in the other thread, but I'm not sure if it was originally a bench or bucket. It came with a bucket, but didn't have footpeg brackets (why I had to weld some on). Either way, it will become a bucket seat SuperTryke. I will probably build a tote rack for this since it is a 16HP and needs a place to mount a fuel tank. According to Ron, all 16HP came with a tote rack to hold the tank. Hopefully, we'll make progress this weekend. I should mention, I'm doing this with my son. The other 4 trykes are in various stages already.

If you need more pics of this brochure just let me know. I could make a copy of the complete brochure in color at Kinko's and send it to you.

I learned the original color was IH tractor red. We will paint this the original color. Here is a picture of one of my other Trykes after I restored it years ago. I painted it Massey Ferguson red.

Rando76

More progress. The rear frame repairs are complete and it has all been sprayed in primer with the exception of the front fork. I almost have the axle finished as well.

Life has taken over and not much has been done. The frame is completely painted with IH red, which Ron tells me is the color they used. I only have pictures of the rear frame to post right now. I have ordered everything I need from Ron and have it all on a shelf, ready to install. Now all I need is time.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]