Heald VT-5 Questions

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and have a few questions. I traded a guy a old go kart frame for a VT-5 roller. It does not have the jack shaft setup with it. If i flip the tire so the sprocket is on the left can i get away with running a clutch and chain on that side? This is going to be a long project and with the amount of missing parts im not trying to go to a factory/original setup. Just wanting something to ride around with the kiddo on his coleman cc100x. Any advice about this mini bike would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! Resized_Screenshot_20230602_151209.jpg

Last edited:
Hello @nitrofish86 ...welcome to the Oldminibikes.com forum !

They are a heavy bike, and really benefit from the gearing accomplished with the jackshaft.

You can purchase most of the needed parts, from @Hent at hent.com link at the top of the page. Hent is the owner of our Oldminibikes.com forum.

Other Heald specific parts can be purchased from Rick Chatten @chatten63 . Rick now owns the Heald 'rights', and has many Heald parts.

Hello @nitrofish86 ...welcome to the Oldminibikes.com forum !

They are a heavy bike, and really benefit from the gearing accomplished with the jackshaft.

You can purchase most of the needed parts, from @Hent at hent.com link at the top of the page. Hent is the owner of our Oldminibikes.com forum.

Other Heald specific parts can be purchased from Rick Chatten @chatten63 . Rick now owns the Heald 'rights', and has many Heald parts.
Hey thank you for the info. I have a jack shaft setup from a Baja Warrior laying around. Its a 2 to 1 ratio. Would that work for this application?

Triley41395

Hey thank you for the info. I have a jack shaft setup from a Baja Warrior laying around. Its a 2 to 1 ratio. Would that work for this application?
I a.m not positive but I don't think many if any had jackshafts. All the ones I have seen used a torque converter. I'm far from an expert though.

Hey thank you for the info. I have a jack shaft setup from a Baja Warrior laying around. It’s a 2 to 1 ratio. Would that work for this application?
it will help it move but not stop. Some of the Super Broncs ran a similar TAV unit mounted to the motor but it had an integrated brake on the back side of the driven.
the VT5 had a jackshaft with brake mounted to the motor mount