Heathkit Hilltopper Torgue Converter Question

I have a Hilltopper. Stock Tec 5hp motor and cat99 torque converter.

The motor is positioned in the mounting slots all the way back towards the rear tire. Looks like it's always been there.

Question is what is the distance or range from center to center of the pulleys supposed to be?

It is currently 7-1/8".

Thanks
Kevin

toomanytoys

Here is a belt chart for the Cat99

Can you still read the part number on your belt?

I have a set of the orginal manuals at home, I am at work currently. But it all depends on what belt is on there. Is it the factory sized belt or one of the others out there?

I can check and see what the factory suggested and let you know.

Hi toomanytoys!

The belt is a replacement. It's a Comet 200394.

The chart shows 7-1/8" to 7-3/16" at 6" Driven.

And ... 6-1/4" to 6-5/16 on 7" Driven.

I don't know what 6" or 7" driven means but ASSUMING I have a 6" driven center distance I am spot on.

I have driven it with the guard off and the torque transfer looks good.

Thanks
Kevin

toomanytoys

Its the diameter of driven clutch, the secondary clutch, the one on the jackshaft.

Should be a 6" from the factory.

7-1/8 is perfect then!

Here is a belt chart for the Cat99

Can you still read the part number on your belt?

I have a set of the original manuals at home, I am at work currently. But it all depends on what belt is on there. Is it the factory sized belt or one of the others out there?

I can check and see what the factory suggested and let you know.
Wow, you have a set of the original manuals at home!
I wont be like the others and ask for copies of the whole thing .... just the address where I can "send away" to get the keen lighting set up and ski!
That would be swell.
And in return I'll send you some of Aunt Bee's pie, Opie is "over the moon" for it!

Thanks!

toomanytoys

They were my bibles as a kid. My dad had them.

Address to get the ski and lighting kit

Heath kit
Dept 11-27
Benton harbor michigan 49022

I'll send the pie ASAP!
It's pecan and it's only 50 yrs old! MMM MMM Good!

On a serious note the address says Heath Kit rather than Heathkit .... did they spell it both ways?

Seriously - does Healthkit still have these parts? That would be a dream come true...

Thanks!
Unless someone had a small stash of NOS parts buried in a dark corner they are gone like a fart in the wind.

eBay, Craigs List and here at OldMiniBikes seem to be the best source for parts.

If you need something try posting under Parts Wanted.

I know where Six lives and when he's at work, just let me know what ya need and I would be more than happy to go over and pirate some origional parts for you!!............:thumbsup:...............Tom.

I know where beekeeper lives and I'll just give you the address and you can liberate his whole workshop! It's a mess and deserves a loving home. :laugh:

Finding Healthkit Boonie Bike Parts

Whew! For a minute I was having flashbacks of the Health Company. I grew up with many of my dad's friends working at Heath. We had TONS of Heathkit stuff - still remember making my first sodering iron... It too came as a kit.

Yes, I have been searching DAILY for Heathkit Boonie and Hilltopper parts since 2012. My boonie came complete (if you count rust) except for the chain cover, clutch and the two shorter chains. Mine was not a GT-18, but I have been adding those parts as I find them.

I am still amazed when I find people who have 2, 3 or 4 of these bikes. I can't wait until (1) I get her running without spitting chain and (2) hook up my Heald front ski when it snows.

Cheers!