Hello from Lake Havasu, AZ

I just picked up most of a Cat 250X from a friend. Initially, not knowing what it was, I was going to cobble something together just to put around the neighborhood, but after lurking on this site, that has all changed.

"Now" I want to spend a lot of money putting something together I used to ride in the 70's. (grin!)

I am looking for any info on these minis, like what does serial number 1943711 mean, what colors were available, and where do I find the clutch guard? I did get a "newer" BS 2HP with the bike that I got running, but would like a 2.5 BS or Tecumseh. LOL, I did not intend to get this deep into it, but now I'm hooked.

check out these original brochures.....the early CAT's actually came with a Briggs but your bike has fold up footpegs which means it was later...so Tecumseh would be correct.....

CAT MINIBIKE ADS (HPE MUSKIN)

Looks like your wheels are in good shape which is rare cause most of them are rusted junk......kickstand is there, that's a plus.....250x didn't come with wheel stars but it would look better if you added them....that purple is obviously not correct, but try not to get too crazy about the details just have some fun with it even CAT varied from their brochures.

.......correct grips and NOS Hunt Wilde footpeg covers also available....the little Rubber peg cover that goes on the end of the the scrub brake lever was an English made job....BSA shift lever or something...also available NOS on Ebay..(http://www.ebay.com/itm/BSA-A10-A7-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5894eb67e0&vxp=mtr)

other folks will chime in I'm sure....

Last edited:
check out these original brochures.....the early CAT's actually came with a Briggs but your bike has fold up footpegs which means it was later...so Tecumseh would be correct..
Thank you Kustom Kart. So I have a 1972 R2501. It's hard to tell from the photo I posted, but that is a scrub brake. I do have new tires on order as well as bearings and throttle cable. Of course I ordered that stuff before I decided to "make it right."

I have to paint it anyway, once I get it running, so that competion orange looks cool. LOL! I do not see any tabbing or evidence of that center switch console on my frame. Was it welded? Thanks again. Someone should stamp up some clutch covers for us.

TomH

Don't make it so nice you don't want to ride it ok? you will have to get another, and another and another:laugh:

..... I do not see any tabbing or evidence of that center switch console on my frame. Was it welded? Thanks again. Someone should stamp up some clutch covers for us.

hahahaha..for what you will pay for that little swicth plate and an orignal clutch cover you can buy another mini bike....or two !! :doah:

there was a little u-shaped clip with a hole in it that went underneath to hold the switch plate on...it all got sandwiched together by the threaded shank on the kill-swith itself.....

Can't go wrong with orange if you want that 60's-70's mini bike vibe !!!!! :pimp:

try memeber MAC on here...he sometimes has fiberglass knock-offs of the clutch covers...that will work fine if your painting it orange anyway instead of chrome...get one of the fabulous repro clutch cover decals from the OldMiniBikes warehouse :drool: (http://OldMiniBikes.com/CAT-Clutch-Cover-Decal-Gold.html )...a seat from 8-Ball Kenny.... and you will be styling!!!! :scooter:

Last edited: