Help me find my old homemade Suzuki minibike built in 1966 in Sheridan Wyo

My dad wouldn't let me buy a motorcycle or have a car, so I did the next best thing. Built my own. Took an old wrecked 80 CC Suzuki trail bike, set the engine on a block and built the rest. A guy named Jim Barker helped with the welding, and I machined the hubs. Got an ID tag from the state, and licensed it in 66 and rode it as main transportation till 67.
Sold to a person named Forest Burquein.
This thing was scary for the time. It would go 75 MPH

Attachments

The only thing better than pics of old minis are pics with stories ... winner winner chicken dinner ...

I hope the bike or info about it surfaces but it's like a needle in a haystack!

Since you posted this in two forums, I'll post my post again:

Wow, what a quest!
This wouldn't be like trying to find a needle in a haystack, it would be like trying to find the air in the eye of the needle in a haystack.

Last edited:
Hey SFinlay...cool story, and great engenuity :thumbsup:

Your bike resembles one of those Bianchi Chibbi's or what ever they were called....but the jug on that motor looks huge in relation to the size of the bike. I bet it did fly.

In trying to locate it, have you attempted to contact Forest....or his family. Or possibly checked w/ the DMV to see if there is any way to cross reference ownership record of registration since you had it registered ? (I know that was years ago...but you never know ?)

Good luck !

Just a standard horn for bicycles. They required that before I could get the ID tag. The engine was the standard 80CC from a 65 Suzuki K15. I shaved the head .125 and reamed it out to fit over the piston. Played with the timing on the ports and put twin carbs on it for awhile, but went back to a single. The tank and seat were off the trailbike as were the rear shocks and muffler. Bicycle headlamp witha modified light bulb socket. Don't remember what the wheels came off of, but they were 5". I blew a front tire coming into town at about 50 and fortunately landed on the side of it and by luck held onto the handlebars with one hand and the rear shock with the other. minor scraps.
I plan to ask around when I go up next year for my class reunion. Lost touch with Forest decades ago. Just starting to look. I need to find my old pictures and blow them up to get the old license number.

Attachments