help needed with 1974 honda trail 70

So i own a 1974 honda trail 70, and can't get it to start. It was running 2 years ago, but i haven't tried until now and it won't start. It will roll over when i kick it. I tried cleaning out the carburetor with carb cleaner, and i tried starting fluid. Could it need a new spark plug? Maybe newer gas? any help would be much appreciated

i always keep a couple spare plugs for my old honda 50's and 70's . they foul out pretty easily. first thing to try is a new plug. needs spark and gas to run. the jets in the carb are small and can plug up easily .sometimes you have to take off the carb and very carefully clean out the tiny jet holes . they usually start after doing this. :thumbsup:

markus

battery hooked up to complete the circut (does not have be be fully charged)? is the key on and does it close the circut?

From there you need to check the points if your sure the plug is good. Here in FL points get buggered up quickly with the moisture and humidity, I have gotten to the point that I dont even bother trying to futz with much anymore, I go straight to the points and clean and reset them before I do anything thats sat around.

hi I have the same issue. I just took apart and cleaned my carb fully, put in new gas and oil and a brand new spark plug. It wants to start but wont quite when kicked. I will roll it and it will begin to start and when i give it throttle it sounds almost like a hooting owl. Wondering if a I need to hook up the battery because it is almost there but just wont start.

The battery needs to be in place and connected or at least the bike battery wires connected together to start. If the battery is totally shot, you will not get that connection and it will not start. The battery does not need to be charged but it should still at least accept a charge.

Be advised - the battery is the voltage regulator on these bikes. So if you get it started without a good battery installed and connected, every operating bulb and lamp in the bike will fry as soon as you rev up the engine.

And that headlight is expensive.

Rick