Help replacing gas cap rubber

Can anyone tell me how to get this old rubber out of this gas cap? a It's old and dry and useless and gas leaks out of the tank. It doesn't look to me like the rubber goes around the center metal section but rather most of it seems under the metal. So I assume I have to turn this metal piece counter clockwise to get it off the rubber then lifts right out? Also where would I find a piece of rubber like this as a replacement? Thanks.

CarPlayLB

I believe that the three pieces are riveted together. You would have to drill out the rivet in the center and pull the pieces apart...which is probably not feasible! Got a pic of the other side?

CarPlayLB

JT, if you get me dimensions, I could probably cut you a gasket to go over the top of that one. I have some Buna-N material that I can laser cut. It doesn't look like that cap will come apart without a fight!

...and I'll pretend I don't see Crocs in this pic

Is the rubber just stuck to the rust? Don't they spin freely and stretch over the tabs when not brittle?
X's two. :thumbsup: I cant imagine riveting, or sandwiching a rubber seat in a permanent fashion. Not at all, not if the cap is big, not if the cap is tall.

Lube it up, spin it 'round, yank it out, the answer's found.

Dave, have you been reading Dr Seuss to the kids :laugh:
Now that would be strange...being 40 years old, and having Dad call up long distance to read Dr. Seuss. :laugh:

I'm just trying to provide levity in another wise extremely serious mini bike hobby. Because no doubt, some of our stalwart members RIGHT NOW are agonizing over the "Word Association" thread, or frantically searching for that Harbor Freight coupon, while images of shelves devoid of "Hemi" engines paralyze them with fear!

Or in the case of one would-be buyer of my $5 used exhaust pipe, agonizing over the actual shipping charges involved. Yes, I like to bring some levity in an arena where shit is this serious.

I agree with the others...probably dried up and shrunk so much it pulled itself tight between the two cap pieces!! Cut that puppy out of there and stretch in a new one!!

Thank you for saying that! I did not have the heart to tell him!

To his credit, he does wear camo crocs...apparently he can't stand the site of them either!:scared:
Ah yes, they were a humorous stocking stuffer thay one day I found myself using. As I go in and out of my garage I dont like to trail the powdery fruits of my hard work into the house. So they are easy to kick off with no hands as I'm usually carrying an engine or something. And because they are camo they cant be seen so they cant c*ck block me either.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Just pull it over the tabs, it is not under the riveted parts.

You can find another rubber one, OR cut one from cork

CarPlayLB

I Like where this thread is going!
C**K blockin Crocs, Dr Suess, shrunken rubbers, and working it up and down with PB Blaster! Oh the humanity!