Help with an electrical problem Rupp TT500

Rupp

I have had a 55 year old Rupp TT500 mini bike in the shop for 3 months now. I can build the heck out of anything it the house, but I never got into motors and cars.
Here is the problem that the shop is having. The bike has been sitting for 50 years. The engine was froze so the changed out the carb and not it started for a day. Then it wouldn't run so that shipped in a new coil. They put it back together and when the pull the cord and NO spark pull they get a spark. When they put the spark plug in the don't get any spark. They can't seem to figure it out at all. Does anyone have any suggestions?

buckeye

Wow, that is confusing.:shrug:
So, new carb unfroze it??

They pull the cord without the plug in and get spark??

Put the plug in and no spark?

Is that right?
What engine is it??

And welcome to OldMiniBikes. You have any photos?:thumbsup:

Motra

"in the shop for 3 months now." Does anyone have any suggestions?
Find a different shop! If they don't know what they're doing, take it to somebody who does. You could spend more money throwing parts at it than you would having it correctly diagnosed and repaired.

Last edited:
If it truly is a Briggs it may be a magnetron on there and it needs the recoil to get spark.
if it is the Tecumseh it may be a points issue which are located under the flywheel. You will need a puller to get the flywheel out.

Also make sure it isn't the kill switch shorting out.