Help with Briggs 5hp I/C, carb and remote fuel tank

had to repossess my son's mini bike from him (due to an unfortunate event with his attitude toward his mother)... I was abandoned at a young age and know how it is to be without good parents. his mother is GREAT! I dont play that shit! aside from that, he hadnt been working on it and I told him, if i got to it first (without him having invested any time into it), then it might as well be mine!

decided to get the motor swapped out TODAY (from the gc160) to the briggs 5hp I/C i had laying around... to show him just how serious i am... this will help to encourage a positive attitude... motor actually matches the bike! :smile:... will get this completely rideable, then offer it for sale in that condition.. the longer I have it, the more I will do to it... doesnt bother me a bit, the way it sits, as long as the mechanics and safe and sound.

the motor runs GREAT in the condition it is in and a test ride was awesome... i was surprised...

however, i noticed the tank is leaking gas (minor leak), I cannot determine exactly the cause of the leak, but with the muffler exiting near the gas tank, I do not want to fix it... i would like to put a different carb/intake and air filter, so that I may run the stock tank, which is located under the seat...

I have done the research, but want to know specific part numbers, or places to grab the stuff... I checked with arcs website, didnt find an intake to mikuni or such, specific to the briggs...

while i continue my search in the meantime, please feel free to help me with this information... also would like to know, what to do with the governor through all this changing around... i saw some mess in between the tank and motor, which im thinking is the stuff for the governor...

found this photo as an example of what i want to do...

pics of the project, since i know most like to see pics

took the air filter housing off and noticed the inside had been rigged up, further reason to switch styles... wish it wasnt leaking, i love the way it runs already and want minimal investment, may be selling this in very near furture... bike rides NICE! suspension works the way it should too...

Last edited:
thanks, I would jump on that, if not for the $130 price tag, would add to what i would have to sell the bike for to get the money back... Ive seen intakes that did not cost as much, but not sure if the bolt pattern works with the flat head...

like these
Intake Manifold, Briggs & Stratton Animal Intake Manifold

affordablegokarts: Manifold, Steel for 22mm Mikuni

and would like to stay at biggest a 22mm mikuni style carb... trying to make sure there isnt a more budget friendly way to do this, before I spend too much on it... still more of an investment, while i own it, and i mean to turn it around at a good price for both parties...

http://www.fastermotors.net/IntakeManifoldsTillotsonCarbs.HTML

still doing research...

a TEC manifold and 5hp Tec Carb? is this a direct bolt on? saw a carb recently for sale... research says the intake off a 3.5 Tec.... are the 3.5 and the 5 hp tecs using the same intake?

or this carb, does it bolts right to the block, or is an intake needed regardless of carb
K&T Parts House - Briggs & Stratton Engine Parts - Small Engine Carburetion, Kits, Governer Springs, Fuel Pumps - Carburetor
There's GOTTA BE a used racing intake somewhere if ya look around.. I'd imagine if ya joined a gokart forrum theres tons of them in peoples piles.. The H35 intakes work pretty good, but if you're looking to make a racer motor, it may limit the motor.. It'll run just as strong as the briggs carb and stronger, but will start causing problems if you start adding big cams and stuff..

Those carbs are junk.. Thats the carb ya have to take off and replace because it won't run for shit.. :laugh:

Any carb is gonna require an intake manifold, except the goofy shaped briggs carb..

Briggs made an intake for them too, that uses those bowl carbs.. The later models used em.. Theres one that you usually see, is a plastic one that bolts to the block, then has brass inserts pressed into it that the carb screws to.. Those are on the 5 horse Industrial Plus

THERE ALSO is an aluminum one, that was only on the 3.5 horse flatheads, or possibly it's the older one.. :shrug: Those ones are pretty nice..

I'm pretty sure both of those intakes only work on the newer blocks though..

There's GOTTA BE a used racing intake somewhere if ya look around.. I'd imagine if ya joined a gokart forrum theres tons of them in peoples piles.. The H35 intakes work pretty good, but if you're looking to make a racer motor, it may limit the motor.. It'll run just as strong as the briggs carb and stronger, but will start causing problems if you start adding big cams and stuff..
not going to be modding this motor at all... just want to get it setup on the bike to my liking and test ride the hell out of it, until it sells...

as far as the h35 intake, would this be used with the h35 carb, or is this the one to be used with the h50 carb? i will do whichever route is the most cost effective to keep it running like it is now or better...

i am a member on the bobs 4cycle forum, ill take a look around there too...

thanks

That is an HS50 carb and intake.. Those have a backwards bolt pattern and won't work.. The carb is ideal, but kinda pricey for just a carb.. If you use the tec intake YOU GOTTA have the H35 intake, and wanna make sure to get the large bore one.. Then ya gotta adjust all the holes a little so it mates up rite to the briggs...

this is the plastic briggs one, with a 1950's Zenith carb...

Tecumseh H35 intake if mounted upside down..

Or there's these lawn mower intakes that flips the carb out 90 degrees, and up a couple inches...

That is an HS50 carb and intake.. Those have a backwards bolt pattern and won't work.. The carb is ideal, but kinda pricey for just a carb.. If you use the tec intake YOU GOTTA have the H35 intake, and wanna make sure to get the large bore one.. Then ya gotta adjust all the holes a little so it mates up rite to the briggs...

Tecumseh H35 intake if mounted upside down..

thanks, will have to find the h35 intake and carb setup...

still looking at a couple intakes for a tilly carb, those are supposed to work with other carbs as well? and finally still trying to figure out a mikuni or clone mikuni option... as the clones are $30ish... i am not afraid to make my own intake for it, if i can find the flanges cheap... do the raptor parts work with the 5 hp as far as intakes?

This is the motor Randi (125ccCrazy) put together.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/m...little-5hp-flatty-all-goodies.html#post594131

I modified the original Briggs fuel tank mounting plate to accept the 1 qt round tank and straps. Randi can tell you where he got the intake. The Mik 22 is a clone, and works quite well, though setting it up was tedious.

It's extremely responsive and high reving. I back off the throttle long before the power band starts to flatten out.

This is the motor Randi (125ccCrazy) put together.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/m...little-5hp-flatty-all-goodies.html#post594131

I modified the original Briggs fuel tank mounting plate to accept the 1 qt round tank and straps. Randi can tell you where he got the intake. The Mik 22 is a clone, and works quite well, though setting it up was tedious.

It's extremely responsive and high reving. I back off the throttle long before the power band starts to flatten out.
thank you... sounded like an awesome deal... nice motor! if i end up stuck with the bike, i will go into it a bit further...

yeah, most of the older carbs were a standardized bolt pattern.. Pretty well anything about 4 horse power, built from 1950 to 1980 are pretty standardized...

Mikuni slide carbs are Japanese, so they are metric.. They are actually pretty damned close, but not quite... Then all your honda honda/clone, modern flatties, have a metric pattern..

I have a lot of H35 intakes, one of the plastic briggs ones, a couple of the lawn mower ones..

just came back from picking up the carb/filter... beats waiting for it to come from China or wherever...and for the same price... also got a intake for a pit bike of some sort, one side has the flange for the mikuni style carbs, so if all else fails, i can find a flange for the briggs side or make one and use hose for the intake... throttle looks odd on this carb, but will research that one! not a bad price for all this stuff, now have to be smart about the other side intake... actually missed a great deal on ebay, because i wasnt sure if it would work!

i believe all of these would have worked one way or the other, oh well...
Intakes Adapters Tillotson Carburetor Go Cart Racing Kart Briggs Clone Ref 89 | eBay

but bid on the other... if not the briggs tilly one is only $30 ($43 shipped) and i can bore the mounting holes on the carb to fit with it...

I am guessing if you cut the intake in 1/2, you can stretch holes and thin the tubing, until the other end fits the briggs.. :shrug:.. Briggs pattern is small, but ya might squeak it..

I am guessing if you cut the intake in 1/2, you can stretch holes and thin the tubing, until the other end fits the briggs.. :shrug:.. Briggs pattern is small, but ya might squeak it..
as far as the other end of the black tube, I have not tried to see if it could be modified to fit, was going to cut it off like on AGKs website...

i have a EC Intake adaptor on its way from EC... that adapts a Tilly to the briggs, apparently the holes on the carb can be modified to work with it...

the black intake was inexensive enough for me to buy it and use it for something else, if i didnt need it for the briggs... the wifes cart could use a real carb upgrade... so can get use the black intake end for that and make a flange for the clone side of the mount, with the radiator hose