Help with my Riding Mower Drive Belt Grabbing hard!!

The mower is a Craftsman YS4500 46" cut.

I just got it.
The belt that came on it worked but was a bit grabby when you lifted the brake pedal and engaged the belt.
It is likely the belt it was sold with.

I bought a new belt off amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AGQ3VZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The numbers match and I looked it over and it is the same diameter with the same cross section, its identical visually.

When installed its grabby as hell, once its in gear you cant get it out of gear. It creeps along ...
Its smoking a little too.

It is installed correctly with no binding (there is a diagram to follow) and with the pedal pushed down there is plenty of slack in the belt as there should be.
I had my brother Tom (Beekeeper) double check it and its installed correctly.

The pulley on the motor is clean and not bent.

The Craftsman belt is Black and about $56 https://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/194346/0071/917.html?modelNumber=917287230&categoryName=Lawn,%20Tractor&brandName=CRAFTSMAN

Did I make a mistake trying to save some $$ and not buying a Genuing Craftsman Belt?

Rub baby powder into the sides of the belt to smooth engagement.
Is this for break in of the belt?
Wont it go back to grabbing after the powder wears off?

I looked at the belt path when engaged and it looked clear of all the pins.

I will likely put the old belt back on and see if its back to where it was ... that will show if its the belt or my install ... I will re-compare belts at that time.

The powder allows the belt to hook up smooth...yes it will wear off and need more after several hours of use. Works great on T/C belts and industrial belts that grab with little tension.

Very clever on the talcom powder, I will have to file that one away!..............I believe the smoke was from the belt slipping on the larger trans pulley with the belt tention released and in gear with brake on, it does seem to have plenty of belt slack but the small engine pulley still wants to grab it..............Tom.

I just ordered an OEM Craftsman Belt ...

The powder might have been a good idea in another application but this drive belt is buried up under the mower when the deck is on.

I just ordered an OEM Craftsman Belt ...

The powder might have been a good idea in another application but this drive belt is buried up under the mower when the deck is on.
Good choice in getting an oem belt. Sometimes, stock belts have odd sizes ex: 72.36 inches in length. Depending on the pulley setup, that .36 inches could make a huge difference in the way a tractor handles. That specific tractor was manufactured by MTD. If you got their part number, you would have saved some $$ since Sears is just a middleman and they charge a lot more than OEM list prices.

Good choice in getting an oem belt. Sometimes, stock belts have odd sizes ex: 72.36 inches in length. Depending on the pulley setup, that .36 inches could make a huge difference in the way a tractor handles. That specific tractor was manufactured by MTD. If you got their part number, you would have saved some $$ since Sears is just a middleman and they charge a lot more than OEM list prices.
I paid $21 through Amazon for the OEM belt... I chose the other as it was prime and I got it fast ... this one will be here no later than May 9th ... and being Amazon likely sooner. I have time to wait for the correct part.

Updated 5-31-18 ...

I received a genuine Craftsman belt.
It was just slightly stiff and first but after a couple uses it works great!

Sometimes Genuine parts are best ... Comet Belts are another item you only want the genuine article.