HM100 carb serious rework question

Is there a resource out there I am missing that goes into detail?

Not interested in carbs kits, I mean drilling and general madness involved in racing

I tried Bob's:

These carbs have a bad reputation.
So do the engines lol.

So I decided to forge ahead on my own.
No one has offered any advice yet.
Tonight the epoxy came out and I started making some minor modifications.

The choke will be no more, not like it was needed.
I started to rework the venturi clean things up.

If I luck out tomorrow I will score some welsh plugs from the Tech service center and if he lets me dig through the big box of junk again I will try and find a finer longer taper idle mixture screw.
I also want to try and get a couple of spare throttle shutters because I am going to try and modify the throttle rather than try and make the low speed circuitry smaller.

AH HA!!!
Spoke too soon.
Lewis Stout from Stout racing has told me to give him a call.
This should be very informative, a real engine builder is going to push me in a right direction.

Last edited:
Good luck with the research . I have a hm100 and right now am running a orogan after market carb which is alright . I have the stock adjustable carb and am going to put it back on after wimber .

I know this isnt really help, but I gave up on running the tilloston on my hm100, (I even had one done by EC, It still was awful) switched to a mikuni, never looked back. It doesnt have a vintage look, but it made the engine friendly to start and idle and more ridable. very tunable, the downside is you have to buy jets to get it just right. For me it was worth it, never going to use tilly again sold every one that I had. Good luck with your build up.

That is not a good carb.

I listen too it and its real fat and lazy.
Throttle is not very responsive.

There is a fellow in Israel that is selling used 360 carbs..
These appear to be used military drone aircraft carbs.
I am 90% sure that this carb in the video is using one.
Its not the right carb for this application.

Tillotson HL 360A Gas Carburetor with Flange Stainl?ss St | eBay

Do you think his HL360A carb is to large for the HM100 engine (venturi .945" and throttle 1.06")?? I think that carb is primarily intended for use on 2 cycle motors.

I just wanted to show Newoldstock a HM100 engine running with a tilly carb if he elected to go down that road. The video caught my attention for two reasons:

1). A tilly running on a Tecumseh
2). A tilly idling

Thank you both for the information though:thumbsup:

Newoldstock- A member started a thread showing some mods he performs on Tecumseh carbs. I have searched for the thread but haven't had luck yet. Maybe another member remembers the thread..

Last edited:
I just wanted to show Newoldstock a HM100 engine running with a tilly carb if he elected to go down that road. The video caught my attention for two reasons:

1). A tilly running on a Tecumseh
2). A tilly idling

Thank you both for the information though:thumbsup:

Newoldstock- A member started a thread showing some mods he performs on Tecumseh carbs. I have searched for the thread but haven't had luck yet. Maybe another member remembers the thread..
Here is a tilly 227a its .875 as I recall and its fairly large by clone standards.
Summer 2012 Rally bike - YouTube
And it idles also,
I can make it rev up and I can drive it at some very high speeds too.
But Ill let you in on a secret.

they can idle or they can race but they cant do both very well.