home made Supercharger

I know more than one person has done it.. I've always wanted to.. I know any RICH MAN can just go buy one.. But I'm thinking home made for price and just simply the (something productive to do), factor.. Not mention cool factor..

Soo like a month ago I helped a 60 year old buddy load a bunch of junk he had laying around so he could scrap it.. And I found an OLD like Kirby vacuum motor that I saved for at least 10 minutes.. :laugh: I stared it down but decided it hasn't quite right enough.. A tad too big, blower blade wasn't right.. So I chucked it.. :hammer:

So who else has wanted to build a super charger and found the piece that is just :bowdown: ??? And where did ya find it? :hammer:

I know more than one person has done it.. I've always wanted to.. I know any RICH MAN can just go buy one.. But I'm thinking home made for price and just simply the (something productive to do), factor.. Not mention cool factor..

Soo like a month ago I helped a 60 year old buddy load a bunch of junk he had laying around so he could scrap it.. And I found an OLD like Kirby vacuum motor that I saved for at least 10 minutes.. :laugh: I stared it down but decided it hasn't quite right enough.. A tad too big, blower blade wasn't right.. So I chucked it.. :hammer:

So who else has wanted to build a super charger and found the piece that is just :bowdown: ??? And where did ya find it? :hammer:

I wanted to do one with a water pump from a washing machine. LOL

C9H13NO3

I think shelbyclone already did this with an 8hp briggs. The thread is around here somewhere, but I remember him saying it was a royal PITA getting everything to work in sync.

i was thinking a smog pump as the blower . the problem find one that works around here is kinda hard tho .... but i found the one on the gutless i have is good , that is in a box someplace

I wanted to do one with a water pump from a washing machine. LOL
lol nothin...... :confused:Thats a hell of an idea.. :laugh: A smog pump might not work bad either.. I guess the fianl result comes down to gearing it right anyways.. Washing machine pump might be about right size... :hammer:

lol nothin...... :confused:Thats a hell of an idea.. :laugh: A smog pump might not work bad either.. I guess the fianl result comes down to gearing it right anyways.. Washing machine pump might be about right size... :hammer:

No, it was a plastic one so it would melt. It looked like a centrifugal supercharger, real neat.

KB2ROCKET

I don't want to discourage anyone but most of the homemade superchargers / turbos were little more than noise makers very few actualy increased the engines hp output

65ShelbyClone

It was a PITA for him because he had an EFI setup.
And a turbo instead of a supercharger. Engine came unglued, project fizzled, etc. That was almost four years ago. There is also this from a while back.

In order to get any useful compression without shelling out a few hundred for a little Rootes blower, you're probably looking at a rotary vane smog pump. The compromise is that they don't last long with the added stress and heat of being used as a compressor. The vanes are also often made of resin or phenolic so they won't tolerate a lot of boost. There are also Rootes-style air pumps used in industrial applications, but they are usually big and have a cast iron housing. I had one for a while with 3" water pipe threads on the inlet and outlet. It must have weighed 70lbs.

And a turbo instead of a supercharger. Engine came unglued, project fizzled, etc. That was almost four years ago. There is also this from a while back.

In order to get any useful compression without shelling out a few hundred for a little Rootes blower, you're probably looking at a rotary vane smog pump. The compromise is that they don't last long with the added stress and heat of being used as a compressor. The vanes are also often made of resin or phenolic so they won't tolerate a lot of boost. There are also Rootes-style air pumps used in industrial applications, but they are usually big and have a cast iron housing. I had one for a while with 3" water pipe threads on the inlet and outlet. It must have weighed 70lbs.
You should try to build another turbo'd engine, with a clone block so it won't matter if it goes BOOM! hehehe

65ShelbyClone

If I was going to go to that trouble again, I would probably build something unlikely to blow up. One of the v-twins with pressurized oiling would make life easier.