homedone mods for briggs 5hp flathead?

I was wondering after hours of searching and not coming up with anything what are some mods you can do at home to a 5hp flathead without buying parts? I already am running a straight pipe, no gov, no low oil sensor, shaved the "eyebrows". besides raising the C/R what other mods are there to do without buying any parts.

I am good with my hands can work metal and have tools like a welder,grinder,dremmel,etc. and I am stressing the homedone without buying parts part. pics of the mods you have done would be great too.

gokart6

Buying parts will really increase your performance. When you take the govenor out then an arc rod is a must. Then a good carburetor. That isn't much money if u get them off ebay.

without turning this thread into an argument I've been running this engine without the governor for a lil over a year now with the stock rod and I'm not even careful. I rev the hell out of it all the time with no probs. on another note though I do know that buying performance parts would really increase power but im looking for el-cheapo stuff I can do with what I already have.

The only way to get these little engines to come alive is to get them to BREATE. A cam or modifying the stock cam yourself will make this happen. Increasing duration and lift of the valves allows for more fuel and power. But, an engine that can breathe will spin faster and then you will need the billet rod.

More power costs more TLC (Time, Labor, Cash)

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
It's hard to help out people if they don't want to play it safe. Remember none of these motors where factory made to be modified, if there were it would already be done from the factory.

Not wanting to buy a billet rod is not thinking clearly. So it's best to leave it stock, until you get the founds to buy at the very least a billet rod. Even a used one from Ebay.

Motra

Mill the head, port the block, bore the carb, drill the jets, remove the choke, grind the throttle shaft for better flow, modify the cam, regrind the valves, all with stock parts, but if these aren't done correctly (professionally) you probably won't gain anything and could lose power or ruin something. Also, you need to start with a fresh engine for best seal if you're going to mod it. You will need a better flowing exhaust and air filter too which are not stock.

Last edited: