Honda CT70H Flywheel

Purchased a 1972 green CT70H 4 speed manual clutch. Does anyone know the differences between flywheels, 4 speed manual vs. 3 speed automatic? My take is that the 4 speed had a timing advance mechanism inside the flywheel as the 3 speed did not? Any help would be appreciated.

You have it right.You can use the 3 spd. unit but be sure to time it to the 3 spd. specs. Power will be down a bit though without the advance.

There two different brands of ignition systems on the Trail 70's, 4 speeds are different than 3 speeds. If I remember correctly the shaft size is different between the two brands.
Try finding a SL70 or XL70 flywheel, There the same and sometimes easier to find on eBay since they made those for 6 year all together.

I just checked eBay, Becarefull there is a couple of seller saying there flywheels are for SL70,Xl70, CT70's If there Hitachi there not the correct one for a 4 speed engine. The 4 speed flywheel has the timing advance weights on the inside of the flywheel that advance the points. I think they were made by Mitsubishi I have 2 of them and can remember the brand for sure with out opening the flywheel covers and looking, But they are not flat on the front side of the flywheel like the 3 speeds. There domed shape on the front and made of steel.

Last edited:

1stlegendtx

I just checked eBay, Becarefull there is a couple of seller saying there flywheels are for SL70,Xl70, CT70's If there Hitachi there not the correct one for a 4 speed engine. The 4 speed flywheel has the timing advance weights on the inside of the flywheel that advance the points. I think they were made by Mitsubishi I have 2 of them and can remember the brand for sure with out opening the flywheel covers and looking, But the are not flat on the front side of the flywheel like the 3 speeds. There domed shape on the front and made of steel.
This is correct!:thumbsup::thumbsup: