honda gx620 carb, im stumped!

Hi everyone, I have a GX620K1 engine (QZB2, GCAD) the 2XXXXXX serial number

I have been trying to figure out what a certain hole in the carb is for and im stumped. I can see the fuel inlet, bowl drain outlet, and then there is this spot at the top that had some cut off hose running to it. I have searched the factory service manual, pictures online, users manual, and there really isnt anything I could find.

I can tell you that when I was cleaning the carb that this top hole goes to the top portion of the carb where the bowl area is (carb cleaner goes through it) but I am truly stumped.

Attached are some pictures of what I am talking about. IMG_0920.JPG honda gx620 fuel line diagram.jpg harness wiring gx620.jpg IMG_0918.JPG

I was thinking along those same lines since it's open to the top. So here's the next question, if it's a vent hole, does it allow junk in the engine? What's the best way to handle it?

It might have been connected to the air filter system originally, but you could just get a small filter to let it breath and hang it high as you can. Advance Auto Parts has the really small filters.

Thanks everybody. If it did attach to the air filter system originally, I'll take a good look at the air filter housing. So far I think that its either a vent for atmospheric pressure to the carb (like that hole in the gx200 carbs has to keep atmospheric pressure in the head-space above the bowl.

AND/OR

an overflow protection vent in case the pump overpowers the needle, allowing fuel to vent, in which case id need to run a few inches of hose to vent it away from the engine.

Ill let you all know how it turns out in a week or two when I get some more stuff in the mail. Thanks so much again!